April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, battle, bushveld, 2 invisible), 1,130 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,141
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
4 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#556602 10/07/19 12:29 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have here a new Citori CXS. New as in 2 flats fired.

It's a nice UN-ported 12ga. It has remarkably good triggers at an ounce either side of 4 pounds, which is better than most out of the box Brownings. It's not going back to Browning for this little problem I have with it because they would return it (after a good long while) with 6.5 pound gritty triggers just like they did my Cynergy. I've learned that lesson.

When the lower barrel is fired first, the ejectors behave properly.

When the upper barrel is fired first, if only that barrel is fired, the gun only extracts. If both barrels are fired, both barrels eject normally.

I'm not in a huge hurry to take off a new recoil pad just to have a look-see.

Eventually, when I do pull the stock any clues what to look for?

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

No expert here smile

OK, my opinion, lubrication issue, the ejector trip rod and cavity needs cleaning and re-assembled.

May have some grit or metal from the manufacturing process in the cavity.

Numbers 26 & 27
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufac...t-citori?page=5

Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Its not a lubrication issue
Ejector is binding
Not setting off as it should

Had same issue with a brand new pair
Book an appointment at your local browning #Warranty Center, and the whole job will take them about 20 minutes

How is the force required on the top lever?

Thats another system that needs some stonework if the effort is too high

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Does it eject if you "force the gun open when at is maximum ? With any new gun there can be a little working in that was not obvious in the factory when those who check them when finished can be a little heavy handed in the opening and so throwing the gun open as opposed to opening it may well have had the ejectors working .

There are two things which I would look at first , had the gun come to my shop , 1 dried up oil causing stiffness in the trippers . 2 that there is some drag/roughness on the ejector kicker/trippers in the forend so they are not camming cleanly , that may only just need to be polished to cure .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jones,
Browning shows a few "authorized service centers" in MI. Bachelders is one. I'm betting they wouldn't mess with the trigger pulls.

My experience with exactly 2 late investment cast (525) Citoris is that they are very rough inside. The trip rod and hole might be drilled rough or it could be in the forend as suggested earlier.

Last edited by Chuck H; 10/08/19 07:27 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well... thanks for the tips so far.

I had a 525 apart once to put a spring kit and firing pins in it. It didn't seem particularly rough, as opposed to my Grade 1 Superposed that is positively ugly inside.

The gun does not eject the top barrel as described above no matter the opening force. The top lever is as expected on a new gun.

The curious thing is how both ejectors trip if both barrels are fired.

It's unclear from just the diagram how the ejector trip rods are actuated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hammer fall sets the trip rod forward

The trip rod is held in location by the headless screw and the
ledge on the hammer pushes it forward.

Close and just for theory is the Kolar video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bE9t2BtiqQ

I would assume the trip rod is bound and the recoil from the one barrel moves the rod forward to function the ejector function.

Mike

good viewing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0jGqqyL8es

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=261153
(Step 9 especially)

Last edited by skeettx; 10/11/19 04:11 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank-you for the links.

I see the ejector rod is driven by the hammers, and I also see 2 independent systems.

The gun functions the same with or without shells, with or without recoil.

It gets curiouser and curiouser.

You don''t suppose they built it this way intentionally, do you?

This is not my first Citori... I admit to not reading the book that came with the gun and it's up in the attic with the box.

Can't be intentional, can it? Who would think this is a good idea?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pull off the stock, assemble receiver barrels and forend, and observe the behavior of the ejector tip rod in action via slow opening and closing.

I had a similar problem when a gunsmith put the rods in the wrong order, left to right side and vice versa.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Eventually, I will pull the stock.

Likely not anytime real soon.

This is one of those things where you just say....

"This can't happen".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.