April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (J.B.Patton, Hammergun, AGS, Tom Shaffer), 180 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,433
Posts544,712
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I never saw any need to do anything different than equal volumes of powder and shot. If I was on the bird I killed it with that load. I favor 7 1/2s with a m/l for doves and quail. Equal volumes do not yield high velocities and the extra mass in the 7 1/2s pays off in more dead birds as opposed to cripples, in my experience.

When shooting skeet, or some other clays game, soak the fiber wads in some moose milk. It will significantly reduce the fouling build-up, between shots.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot skeet and 5 Stand with BP sxs muzzleloaders. For skeet I shoot 2 shoots at each station, and can generally keep right up. I do all the set up and take down for 5 Stand, so the others understand that they have to put up with me a bit, but any one slow shooter and I am very close.

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

If loading brass shells a few days before using them, does oil or moose milk in the fiber wad seep through to the BP and compromise it? If so, does a grease like Crisco have the same effect?

And as to the 25-30 yard range mentioned by Lorne, were fowlers with heavier loads and tight chokes able to attain significantly longer effective ranges?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Choke and muzzleloader don't work so well.
Compressing wads past choke leads to poor gas seal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can you see l that little cock roach peeking out of the crevices...
Originally Posted By: Argo44

Pitting in the chambers but still plenty of metal around.

I like how you reassure yourself "pitting in the chambers but still plenty of metal all around".

Do you know how stupid that sounds ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: [censored]
Can you see l that little cock roach peeking out of the crevices...
Originally Posted By: Argo44

Pitting in the chambers but still plenty of metal around.

I like how you reassure yourself "pitting in the chambers but still plenty of metal all around".

Do you know how stupid that sounds ?

Not nearly as stupid as yoursel - self-declared dumbass.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had old V.M. Starr jug-choke my Dewson 10ga. "Little powder, much lead; shoots far, kills dead" seems to hold true for these old percussion guns. 4 dr Fg with 1 5/8 oz Lubaloy 4's worked great for pass shooting diving ducks. Cut the load way back for trapshooting. I used saliva on my over powder wads like V.M. recommended. Seemed to push fouling from previous shots on top of the powder column and make loading easier. To clean, pump with warm soapy water in a bucket and a rag on your bristle brush till you can draw water in and push it out of the nipples in a steady stream. Then repeat with plain hot water and dry. But those days are long gone, at least for waterfowl hunting.

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

If choke degrades patterns with felt wads, did tightly choked breech-loading fowlers of the later 18th century produce poor patterns? Were they used mostly at short ranges?

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, I don't usually answer Frank but want to explain myself again. I'm a Reilly historian. This is the only Reilly I've ever seen with both High Holborn and New Oxford street addresses on the same gun - surely dating to spring 1847. Barrels have been shortened 2"; it's not in good shape, but for me it is a historic gun. I had it gone over. I have more money in it than I'll ever get out....not important. If I cannot shoot these barrels, I'll investigate sleeving them back to the original 16 bore or maybe 20 bore. I'm not interested in a wall gun. I want to be able to shoot this gun if at all possible.

Last edited by Argo44; 09/14/19 02:48 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

You got Reilly up the dAiry'air for sure....

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.