April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Southern Sport, Krag 1902, Argo44, Ken Nelson, PALUNC), 469 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,069
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone have a recipe? Want 1 1/4 oz load at normal velocities.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My only experience with bismuth shot and card/fiber wads has been in M/L shotguns. It works fine.
With cartridge guns, you should be able to take a plastic wad load and sub with a .125 nitro card on the powder and enough cushion wads to make a good crimp.
The card/fiber wad does not seal as well as a plastic wad so pressure will be a bit lower than the same load with the plastic wad.
Ive done this with lead shot but not bismuth.

Matt
aka Iowa_303
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've hesitated to respond because there's a Hodgdon lead recipe I've adapted to No. 4 bismuth---"finding out for myself"---and I don't want to get into the weight/volume conversion controversy. My opinion is pressure/velocity should be equal for bismuth and lead: same weight shot and powder and same primer, hull and wad.

All cautions offered, I've had good results with the Hodgdon 1 3/8 oz recipe from its 2003 manual of FGM hull, Rem 12H wad, 28.7gr Longshot, W209 wad, velocity 1185 and pressure 6900. (See above re adjustments.)

Another 2 3/4 12ga 1 1/4 No. 5 bismuth load is Rem-Pet hull, Windjammer wad, 17.5 700-x powder, Rem 209 hull, pressure 7600, velocity 1145. I use both in my dear old American classics, pleasure to shoot, no complaints.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Weight/volume cannot be simply & safely ignored. Greater volume = more bore contact, thus more friction, giving higher pressure. Admittedly not a great amount but present never-the-less. The initial pressures of the lead loads you mention are low enough that even though the Bismuth pressures are not necessarily identical, they are most likely Safe.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am new to reloading have been given conflicting advice about fiber wads and nitro powders. When compressing the powder, should the fiber wad be compressed too, or only the powder and OP card, with just light pressure on the wad?

Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree completely with you, Millar: they should not be ignored. You are correct. I believe there is higher pressure from friction. There is greater risk but I felt acceptable under the circumstances. It's what resourceful country boys do every day around machinery, always determining acceptable risk.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LGF
I am new to reloading have been given conflicting advice about fiber wads and nitro powders. When compressing the powder, should the fiber wad be compressed too, or only the powder and OP card, with just light pressure on the wad?

Thanks.

I use pressure on the nitro card only.
The fiber wads are just seated lightly on the nitro card.

Matt
aka Iowa_303
Sidelock
Sidelock

Heres a post circa 2008 from Lagopus regarding fiber wads:

Re: Reloading with fiber wads [Re: AmarilloMike]
lagopus Offline
Sidelock

Loc: Derbyshire, England
I load with little else because a lot of clay grounds in England, and game shoots, insist on bio-degradeable wads. Most of my loading is with components easily sounced in the U.K. but I do have some information for Hercules/Alliant powders and CCI & Winchester primers. Most loads just require a slight powder increase with the use of fibre wads; usually 1 to 1 1/2 grains extra. If you use the same load and just substitute a card and fibre wad you will certainly be on the safe side. Try that then just increase the powder load by 1/2 grain increments but do not exceed 1 1/2 grains over standard. Lagopus.....

Matt
aka Iowa_303
Sidelock
Sidelock

Matt
aka Iowa_303

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.