May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (KDGJ, doublenut, 1 invisible), 254 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,565
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

I have been under the impression that the monobloc does not allow the barrels to be set as close together as the other methods. I don't care for the seam and tend to favour a well made dove tail over the mono bloc.

But I'm a bit fuzzy on what a shoe lump is.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are the ribs harder to relay on a chopper lump barrel ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

A monoblock would need to place the barrels further apart only if it is a significantly weaker joint than a chopper. IMO, the two piece nature of the monoblock breech is equivalent of the single piece nature of the chopper; it does not need to be thicker to compensate for weakness in the joint.

A "shoe" is any of a number of plate designs that cradle the barrel breeches and and join them vis soldering/brazing. The shoe also contains the hook and lumps. Look at the drawing on Hollowell's.

OP Offline

I guess I am a little confused about the monoblock.

My impression is that the monoblock is a one piece affair into which the locking recesses, the hinge radius and the extractor cuts are make and into which two holes are bored to secure the barrels which are (I assume) silver soldered into place.

Am I right about that? Please?

RedHawk
Sidelock
Sidelock

rh44 - yep, you got that right. The reasons to set barrels further apart are to allow thicker breech walls or to fit to existing firing pin spacing. Per my concept that monoblocking doesn't require additional barrel spacing width, the practice of sleeving is little more than monoblocking the barrel set. It is practiced on all methods of barrel joining that I'm aware of and without any need to adjust barrel width.

When a barrel set is prepared for sleeving, the tubes are cut off and the breech end of the set reamed to accept a new tubes with the breech end sufficiently thick for chambering. The tubes can be glued in, soldered in, brazed in or welded in.

Originally Posted By: redhawk44
Is the monoblock considered down scale in terms of producing a quality O/U?

No. Most quality O/U's (and not so quality O/U) use monobloc construction. I'd be more concerned with the method of barrel construction and machining if the barrels have choke tubes. I've don't remember an incident being reported of a monobloc joint failing, but choke-tube/barrel failures are common.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Possibly Unspellable might be visualizing a requirement to have a thicker piece of web between the barrels which isn't the case at all. The barrel stubs inserted into the monoblock can be a bit smaller outside diameter to accommodate web thickness if required for some specific reason. The Monoblock itself provides pressure containing strength.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Like most other things on guns, the quality of the design details and execution of them is more important than the design type.

I do recall something about a O/U gun, with monoblock construction, having a tube come out due to a bad solder joint. I think it was a newer Browning. I believe old Citori's were brazed or dovetailed barrels, breach to muzzle. The new 525 I have is monoblocked. I assume all the Citori line has gone this way for economical reasons.

Interesting that Miroku made the earlier Citori with chopper lump barrels. The Superposed was barrels are chopper lump so I suppose the Citori replacement guns came with them to help ease the transistion to a Japanesse made gun.

The literature that came with my CD/Miroku O/U has statements about the unique Miroku monobloc.

OP Offline

Thanks to all for your comments. It was enlightening indeed.....

Last edited by redhawk44; 06/28/07 03:33 PM.

RedHawk
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.