April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hugh Lomas, Jimmy W, j7l2, PALUNC), 1,095 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,139
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Has anyone dealt with Puglisi's since Jack died a few years ago. I know their prices are high, a la Steve Barnett and Kevin's (both Dixie based gun dealers)-- how honest and accurate are their descriptions-

Reason I ask, my oldest Grandson will turn 14 next Month- not quite the hunter or varmint shooter his Dad and I are together, but likes to target shoot with our .22's- both rifles and handguns (likes my Win 67 single shot BA .22LR with the 27" barrel and open sights-- and especially likes the 1939 era Colt Match Target Woodsman with the bullseye logo and the elephant eared wooden grips (kid has good taste)--

Puglisi's has a 1937 era Target Woodsman, with box, papers, factory test target under $1K- and I am thinking about buying it for "Us"- he can't legally own it until he is 21, but he can inherit it after my passing, along with the rest of my gun collection.

I am used to dealing with gents no longer with us: Bill Jaqua,
Thad Scott,Brad Bachelder, and Don Criswell-- and I hold any "new to me" gun dealer I have yet to deal with to those standards- It is my limited understanding that Jack's son is running the business now- what is he like to deal with, if I may ask.

With Brad's passing, besides being a Master Gunmaker par excellence- his retail operation with high end used guns was "top shelf"> Now in Grand Rapids, MI- there is a "new kid" on the block- Jay Schachter-- Vintage Firearms-- nice looking show room, good location in the "tony" East Grand Rapids locale- anyone have any comments on this gun dealer. His ads show he offers gunsmithing services- wonder who his "house" 'smith may be. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't offer any info per his gunsmithong services, but I bought a Fox from him (Jay Schacter), and the deal was seamless. Gun was as represented. His business has grown much since then. He handles some very nice guns.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 07/02/19 09:20 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a 12ga Parker DHE Repro from them about a year or so ago, it was as they described, a very nice condition shooter. Barrels were 28" marked as M/F and they brought up the fact the right choke measured IC. Turns out that seems to be pretty common on a lot of 12ga Repros as they left the factory (stamped Mod but measure looser). There is a long thread on the Parker Collectors site discussing the discrepancy and I was already aware of the possibility, but it was nice they mentioned it on their own.

They were easy to deal with and I'd have no problem buying from them again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Condition and price. You aren't getting married.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack was still alive back when I made my one purchase from Puglisi's. But I actually made the deal with John. Pleased with it.

Re Jay Schachter, I was looking at his inventory not long ago. Noticed a nice little Francotte Knockabout Ejector 20ga. Pictures show a gun in very good condition, but his description raised various questions: 1. A&F, 1924? They didn't exist then. It would have likely been VL&D. 2. His photo of the barrel flats clearly shows a 1960 date code. 3. Serial number didn't fit for 1924. Caused me to check with Bob Beach, who confirmed that it was an A&F 1960 import.

Given that any number of people who hang around this place would have spotted the same discrepancies I did, it kinda made me wonder about a dealer who specializes in vintage firearms yet missed all of that. Not something I'd expect from Mark Beasland or Kirby Hoyt or George Caswell.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I did a lot of gun buying from the old "Shotgun News". Many quality dealers, I don't remember ever being surprised by a guns condition--even though It was a few discription lines and a telephone call.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ooops-I almost forgot Kirby Hoyt-- Met him at the Sagola, MI shoot in June 2010- great gent. I bought a later field grade 12 FW L.C. Smith from him about 7 years ago- had it on lay-away, and when I had wire transferred the final payment- asked him on the phone if he had tested the HOT for function. He said that he hadn't, but if I'd like, he'd do it outside his shop with the phone next to it, so I could the single reports- which we did- When I told him I was a Vet- he said- "No shipping charges apply to any guns I sell and ship to Veterans".. That put him up to numero uno in my book--RWTF

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Point well taken. RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

Collectively, the amount of information that the board members bring to any question has to exceed all but a very few dealers. I dont mind dealer descriptions which which have mistakes in them, as I consider all descriptions to be optimistic to say the least. What does bug me is when photos are taken to deliberately hide flaws and then fail to mention them at all.

Life is short, so if you want the gun, buy the gun because the next one might never come along in many cases. Or thats what I keep telling myself. 😁

Sidelock
Sidelock

You might try 24hrcampfire forum classifieds.State your wish for a clean Woodsman and include your story about your grandson.Heading WTB Woodsman for my grandson.Great group of guys and gals on the site.Regards,Grayson

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.