May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (ClapperZapper, L. Brown, Jimmy W, Marks_21, Mills, 1 invisible), 618 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,593
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
JeffT Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Seeking help in determining approximate age and any information on the possible manufacturer of a Darne Patent, Guild manufactured, 16 Ga, SXS French shotgun inherited from my late father.
Barrel markings - Single St. Etienne proof stamp and 17.1 (16 Ga) stamp on each barrel
- CANNON DL SURETE stamp on each barrel
- PT (Poudre T) with one crown stamp on each barrel and the receiver
- 65 mm (2.50 in.) chamber length stamp on each barrel
- CHOKE 'RECTIFIE(?)'stamp on flat between barrels. Markings/stamps below this are difficult to discern.
- *JB* (five point star) stamp on inside of R barrel
- J.G stamp on bottom of rib
- SN 25125 on barrel, breech and receiver
- 27 inch barrels with swamp rib and brass bead sight
- Receiver and sliding breech are bright polished steel with some moderate scroll engraving, tgigger guard is blued with some minimal scroll engraving
- Single piece stock with pistol grip checkering, appx. 24 in. length
- Estimate the gun weighs just over five lbs.
Overall a pretty nice 16 Ga SXS shotgun.
I will try and post some pictures if I can find the 'File Manager' link, I do not see it on this 'New Post' page as mentioned in FAQ. Any advice is appreciated.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome on your first post. Use a photo host service such as jpgbox.com You don't have to register to post photos. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted will be on shortly. Need photos: However, Just from the markings
-- PT with crown - post 1900, proof for smokeless powder
-- 65 - chambered in mm (2 1/2") - post 1912 (changed from cm at that time)
-- JB - likely a reference to Saint Etienne barrel maker Jean Breuil - should look something like this:

-- J.G. - could be Saint Etienne gun maker Jean Gaucher. Mark would look like this:

-- Canon du Surete - safety barrels ...means nothing but hype
-- Choke Rectifie - regulated chokes...means nothing, can't even tell what chokes are there.

Last edited by Argo44; 06/27/19 11:07 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
JeffT Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the information Argo44.
Will post photos when I figure out the best way to do so.
Thanks again.
JeffT

JeffT Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks RJS.
Have posted lots of photos on e-bay from my documents/pictures on my laptop, straightforward process on e-bay. Will try the jpgbox.com approach.
Thanks again,
JeffT

JeffT Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Apologies Gil... Meant to type GLS, do not know where I came up with RJS?
Uploaded a number of pictures on jpgbox.com: Direct link(s)
http://www.jpgbox.com/page/57269/
through to http://jpgbox.com/page/57280 in sequence
Thanks,
JeffT

JeffT Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Argo44,

Uploaded a number of photos on the jpgbox.com website as I have not been able to upload directly to doublegunshop website.
Direct link(s): http://jpgbox.com/page/57269/ through /page 57280/ in sequence.
Should give you a better idea of the Darne Patent, Guild manufactured shotgun.
Stamps are not as 'clean' and crisp as the pictures of those you had sent me.
Thanks,
JeffT

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jeff, go one more step in the jpgbox. Using your mouse, highlight all text in the first box. Copy. Paste on this site. I find it easier to park all pasted in gmail "draft" mode and after all are copied and pasted, do one mass copy and paste here. It's tedious for us to go back and forth to look at jpgbox when all photos can be uploaded at once using a "copy, paste and park, copy, paste" method or a variation of it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll post some more: - pretty sure J.G. is Jean Gaucher. Not sure of the *JB* is Jean Breuil but until proven otherwise....

Last edited by Argo44; 06/29/19 05:26 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have little to add to Argos points, save that the gun is an early 1894 patent Darne R model, which, post 1909, would have likely been sold as a proofed, in-the-white action to a smaller builder, and finished by them. Gaucher did this, as well as others. The Regis Darne R patent was revised in 1908, and Darne started selling the new guns alongside the old, and selling the old patent guns as barreled actions out the back door to other gunmakers.
It has a poorly fitted pad, and I would bet, but, cant prove, that the stock shield came much later.
This is not a high dollar piece, and, pending the inspection of the tubes by a good double gun Smith, I wouldnt feel too bad about making the 2 1/2 chambers 2 3/4, and using light loads to pursue upland game. The gun will let you know when you are using loads too hot for it via recoil.
The trick with most Darne patent sliding breech guns is fit. You cant bend the stocks. I have used slip on pads to get the LOP right, or, you can add a pad, spacer, or both.
A Darne works well for me, and others I know. It isnt for everybody.

Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.