April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Sun Dog, Jimmy W, SKB, Lloyd3, 1 invisible), 425 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,099
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
bczrx Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello,

I have a Pardo S.A. shotgun with an IRU stamp in it, and have a couple of questions.

First- the number of pins and type of action. What is it, and how many pins are there?

I have numbered everything I can see that might be considered a pin. Please take a look and then list either what IS a pin or what is NOT a pin- whichever is the shorter list.

I am guessing this is a 5 pin action, but someone once said it could be a 4 pin. Yet, that was based on pictures from outside the action- like this one:

Secondly, in the following picture, am I understanding the marks in the red circles correctly to refer to 1970 [O1] and the weight of the barrels [1360]? If not, can you see anything that would be a date?

barrel flats:

watertable:

Classic 'field' SxS's are what draw me in- that way I can have more than one!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Does the tubeset weight 3lbs?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

You might determine the number from this >>Pin<< configuration thread:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=327964&page=1

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

You have a four pin Spanish side lock, made by Antonio Madariaga (maker's mark IRU) in 1970 (proof year code O*1). Barrel weight is either 1380 grams or 1360 grams (photo not quite clear enough for me to read the number).

I've circled the pins:

Purely FYI, the number of pins, or what people will call pins, has no impact on the dependability or durability of the lock. OTOH, some folks have significant emotional attachment to the number of pins in a lock :-)
Hope this helps!

Last edited by Kyrie; 06/08/19 07:09 PM.
bczrx Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks All!

Kyrie,

I appreciate the comments regarding 'don't sweat the # of pins'. I prefer function over fashion- normally. This is my one 'fashion' choice, but I am still glad it works so well.

I am relatively new to all of this, and- like all who have come before, looking for understanding.

The ones you've identified are clearly visible from the outside, and I believe they match up to the ones I labeled #1, 6, 2, and 4.

I had been told that the primary difference between a pin and a screw, and defining what counts as a pin, was whether it holds something or is just a pivot/retaining pin. Is this somewhat accurate?

If so, wouldn't the ones I numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4 be the 'pins'? I ask as the fact that they have screw slots on them indicates to me that they are screwed on to hold something down.

#3 seems to be a pivot pin for the sears, but it also is screwed down to hold them in place.

However, I don't know what it really does. Could it be screwing the intercepting sear to the regular sear? And, if so, which # is the pivot pin for the sears? #6?

#s 5, 6 and 7 all look like pivot pins to me, but that is because I don't know what they do.

Thanks again!

Sidelock
Sidelock

bczrx,

We're in the world of shotgun parts nomenclature, and maybe even worse, the realm of British/Spanish shotgun parts nomenclature. This is a place where words may sound like American English, but they really aren't.

In this world a 'pin' is a screw. The number of pins in a lock is the number of screws used to hold everything together.

People try to count the number of pins in a lock by looking at the outside of a lock and counting the number screw ends visible. Most folks will do this because they won't, for any of a host of reasons, take the lock off the receiver and look at the inside of the lock plate.

This actually works pretty well for most locks, but the wheels come off that approach when the lock maker blinds the pins. A 'blind pin' is a pin that has a screw hole that doesn't go all the way through the lock plate. Such pins are not visible on the outside of the lock plate. Blind pins are commonly done to give the engraver an uninterrupted lock plate upon which to execute his art, but may be done just because the lock maker feels like it.

Watch for a PM; I'll send you some lock related stuff.

bczrx Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Kyrie,

Thank you.

Got the PM and this helps a LOT!

bczrx Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Oh, I just realized it also has another feature. I think it is called a 'hidden dollshead'?

I don't have a picture of MINE, but there is an AyA with something similar for sale on Gunbroker. Here is the picture of the breechface:

Here is a picture of the chamber mouth, with barrel extension/dollshead thingy:

Mine is a bit different, but basically the same. The difference, as I recall, is that the 'nub' on the barrel's chamber is more rounded top and bottom, and slightly smaller. Yet, the principle is the same.

So- am I right that this is called a 'hidden dollshead'?

thank you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Per the images - Purdey Nose..... or 3rd fastner, I believe by some?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep, Purdey nose hidden third fastener is what I heard it called...Geo

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.