April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (earlyriser, Cold1, buckstix, Mark Larson, Marks_21, canvasback), 249 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,038
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dan S. W.

Perhaps there needs to be a reach across the aisle. I am 37 and buying, but none of my other young professional friends have any interest in guns, hunting or fishing.

You are exactly right. Roughly 2/3s of Americans regardless of age, gender, or ethnicity are simply not welcome. A very few of those persist anyway, but most do not even pause to consider the possibilities.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not welcome? How so? By whom?

Dan did not say that his age group were unwelcome at doublegun venues. He said they just weren't interested.

Not the same thing at all.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't look for hunting or shooting buddies, if I were inclined to, in low percentage places. Maybe, the long game turns out that someone has two different circles of friends. What's wrong with working on being welcome, not expecting to be welcome. I think future attendees of shows like this are shooting polymer framed pistols and AR style rifles today, but they certainly aren't welcome in some shooting circles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had half a table and spent most of all three days there as a seller. Didnt get to look around carefully, because I know some guys who found some interesting pieces, but all I saw was miles and miles of winchester levers, springfield carbines, colt s/a's and a mixed bag of shotguns (not counting the auction houses, who had nice stuff out, but nice prices too). I sold one double and a bunch of optics I no longer needed or wanted. Had to refuse one kid who wanted to buy a Balfor scope, and when he didnt want the Kucharsky mount next to it, revealed he didnt know it had no internal adjustments. Said he wanted it for his model 94. I said "No, you don't." That was my good deed for the day. I think the fire of collecting has gone way down for me. I'd rather shoot the ones I've got, sell the ones I dont shoot, and stay away from all the rest. JMHO.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I said to my friend I don't know who's older the guns or the guys.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Originally Posted By: Dan S. W.

Perhaps there needs to be a reach across the aisle. I am 37 and buying, but none of my other young professional friends have any interest in guns, hunting or fishing.

You are exactly right. Roughly 2/3s of Americans regardless of age, gender, or ethnicity are simply not welcome. A very few of those persist anyway, but most do not even pause to consider the possibilities.

You left out the key quality that probably creates the unwelcomeness......political leanings. Why would I welcome with open arms those who would legislate away my ability to enjoy my hobby. Right now we have a government in Canada trying to figure out how to impose a blanket ban on handguns and any type of "assault" weapon as well as semi autos of all types. There are rumours it will be announced by the PM at a early June women's conference.

Why would I welcome ANYONE who voted for that dick and his party?

And I'm asking a serious question Brent. It's not meant to be rhetorical.

When I do run across someone I know who admits to voting for him I am scathing in my denunciation of their choice, with a long list of ways, not just gun related, he has buggered up our country. The low information voter will be the death of our respective countries.

Last edited by canvasback; 05/23/19 07:32 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
Darin(great guy) is spot on as are you. We have a seriously aging hobby/industry and bringing in new generations is key. I took out two new hunters last year and think I have them both hooked. Getting youth outside, into the field and off the phone is key in my mind.
Steve

I could be wrong but my guess is there were a bunch of curmudgeons complaining about those newfangled hammerless shotguns and bemoaning the demise of a proper gun! One with hammers you could see!

The threat I see is the lack of hunters, not the lack of shooters.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Our hobby is not alone as younger tastes change, Harley Davidson is now getting deeper into the banking industry to survive selling bikes (to younger riders) on credit. Their market has been old guys---they don't live forever!

Sidelock
Sidelock

no, cb, I did not. And you make my point explicitly. And you also seal your own demise.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
no, cb, I did not. And you make my point explicitly. And you also seal your own demise.

Really Brent? Are the pro abortion people inviting the anti abortion people to their get-togethers? Do they hang out a lot? Methinks you can't actually answer the question...you can only deride it.

Unlike some others here I regularly try to bring new people into the sport and I don't disavow people as friends because they hold different political positions from me. Please note I said "I am scathing in my denunciation of their choice".....emphasis on choice. But I don't sit quietly and accept the misinformation and inability to apply critical thinking either. We do our respective countries a huge disservice by sitting back and allowing easily demonstrated foolishness to take precedence over reason and logic.

Last edited by canvasback; 05/23/19 07:58 AM.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.