March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Hammergun, Ian Forrester, dukxdog, Don Zahringer, 2 invisible), 780 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
bczrx Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello,

I have grown to really like SxS shotguns for their looks/balance/heritage. I've acquired a few older ones, but they are all lead-shot only era ones.

However, I just realized that I don't have a steel-shot compatible SxS.

I would like to fix that, without breaking the bank. I may have some 'classics', but none of them cost me more than 750 apiece.

Is CZ the only show in town for a relatively reliable SxS 12g that can handle steel shot and is under a grand?

I know there are other great firearms out there- but not within my budget. I'd love to sell a couple of other firearms to fund it, but no bites on them lately.

So, $1K is my max- after shipping/tax/dros/FFL receiving fee [if shipped on my order].

I like the price of the Bobwhite, but like the looks of the Hammer Classic [I have a hammer 1876 Cimarron coach gun too]. Sharptail is nice, but I don't know about another single trigger.

What else should I be looking for in Steel Shot compatible SxS 12g, for under $1000?

My usage: 100 rounds a year if I am lucky. I have some I haven't had a chance to fire in 4 years. Recreational shooting- iron targets and clay pigeons. Maybe hunting. Not dedicated clay shooting gun. Recreational.

I am in california, so thought I should think ahead to a day when it is Steel or Bismouth, and my above listed shotguns can no longer be used.

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Classic 'field' SxS's are what draw me in- that way I can have more than one!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ithaca-SKB Model 100 will do. You might also find a Merkel Model 8 for that money or less. Of course, you want to avoid full chokes and shot larger than 4's in my opinion. In any event, I have been shooting steel in both of mine, albeit the Merkel has Briley tubes installed.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Browning BSS, although you may have to open the chokes. They are fine with steel. Single trigger only. You should be able to find a PG 12 for $1K.

Pietro Bernardelli (not Vincenzo) Europa, as imported by Cape Outfitters long ago. The 12s came with choke tubes, straight or pistol grip, pretty decent fit and finish but the straight grip wood could usually benefit from some TruOil. The PG versions all seemed to have a poly finish. Single or double trigger.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have two Verney -Carron SXSs in 12 and 20. Both are steel shot proof with 3" chambers. Both have mono-blocked barrels with screw chokes A little pricey but they can be fired with anything short of rifle grenades. 6.5 and 5.5 lbs, respectively. See kebcollc.com to order yours.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree that steel won't hurt the BSS. You may have a hard time finding a decent 30" barreled one for $1K, but the shorter barreled ones might come in at that, or a bit less. Modified (.020") is as tight as I would go with steel in a BSS or Miroku. I had my 30" BSS's left barrel opened to match the right, at .018", many years ago. It's worked fine with never a hiccup due to the steel.

I agree that the Miroku would work, too. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a V-C within your price range.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Quote:
I agree that the Miroku would work, too.

Probably true, but I would have more faith in the BSS version. I have a BSS 12 with 28" and 30" barrels, and the same combo in a Miroku. Other than DT vs ST, the biggest difference between the two is the weight. I have not weighed them, but the Miroku barrel sets seem noticeably lighter than those for the BSS. BSS is probably easier to find, too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For what your stated use will be, buy the CZ and enjoy. Your pocketbook dictates it.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
Quote:
I agree that the Miroku would work, too.

Probably true, but I would have more faith in the BSS version. I have a BSS 12 with 28" and 30" barrels, and the same combo in a Miroku. Other than DT vs ST, the biggest difference between the two is the weight. I have not weighed them, but the Miroku barrel sets seem noticeably lighter than those for the BSS. BSS is probably easier to find, too.

Agreed.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have the CZ Hammer Classic 12ga with 3" chambers and screw in chokes. Chokes are good to go for steel up to modified. I intend to use it this Fall for ducks.

It is a heavy gun, but mine balances well. The gun can be opened with the hammers back and it even has a slide safety. Mine has the case colored frame and hardware, but the new ones are blued. A grand will put one in your hands...Geo

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi just my 2c. Finding a BSS for under 1k is going to be hard. A basic Miroku would work, if you can find one for under 1k and the chokes were open enough you wouldn't have to let them out. A lot depends on the model of the gun and the chokes. Fixed choked guns need to have open chokes.

Your best bet for what you want to spend and your annual usage would be one of the CZ options.

By chance, here's one that may interest you. You maybe able to dicker on price:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101113490

You may want to check with the seller, all the Dickinsons I've seen come with ejectors, this one states it has extractors. They also come with steel approved choke tubes.

Good luck and remember, half the fun is looking!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.