April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, rtw, Hugh Lomas, CJ Dawe, 1 invisible), 983 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,117
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#545805 05/12/19 11:42 PM
Vol423 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I had a Do-All automatic clay machine that was plagued with problems. I gave it away to my brother who doesn't mind fixing it. I would like a reliable clay target thrower that would hold 150 to 250 clay birds and throw them reliabily, realistically and with some randomness. I see that MEC Engineering and Atlas are two makers. I would be happy with a unit that operates on a 12 volt battery and has a remote control. A wired foot control would be fine. Can someone recommend a unit based on actually using it? I would like to spend under $1000 but may have to go as high as $1500.

Last edited by Vol423; 05/12/19 11:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had an Atlas, 600 I think. Piece of junk. Had to be on maximum spring tension to get any reasonable throw, and then the spring failed quickly. Bit the bullet and got this used Lincoln for 2500.00. I know that's way out of your stated range, but this reliable commercial thrower has transformed my shotgunning. Holds 400 targets and is reliable as death and taxes.

If you just can't spend that much, try before you buy. I would have never bought the Atlas had I taken a test drive. Here is the Lincoln at the property yesterday- sitting on a bluff, I consistently get 80 yd throws. I have transformed the handheld button into a foot switch, as I am often shooting alone. With 150 ft of cord, I move around in relation to the thrower to work on any presentation I wish, except rabbits and chandelles.

I thought about a remote, but I would still have to press a button with one hand,
put it back in my pocket while I fumble to mount the gun. For me, the foot switch rocks.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I were to buy an automatic trap, based on over twenty years of shooting experience with them, I'd look for a good, used, ProMatic. IMO they are the best there is.

I once had the extended use of an old Comet, manufactured in CA, I believe. It was unique in that it came with a wireless remote, and could be set to change presentations with each throw ....... "wobble" traps, they're called today. It was also different in that the machine did not cock and load until you pressed the button. Most, today, cock and load after the throw, so that the next throw is nearly instantaneous. The advantage of the way the Comet worked is that it created a three second delay. In practice, I clipped the little remote on my shirt pocket, loaded my gun, pressed the button with my left hand, and had time to mount the gun during the three second delay. This allowed me to replicate my preshot routine when shooting sporting.

You can get wireless remotes that have adjustable delays built in, now. I really think they're worth the extra cost, because they allow you to move about, changing the presentation, while not having to move the machine to do so. Before a tournament, or big registered shoot, I'd take the trap to a field and wire it to my truck battery with a long set of jumpers. I'd have it set to throw a slightly climbing target at a pretty fast clip. I'd start behind the trap shooting straightaways. When I'd smoke three or four straight, really smoke them, I'd move, in a big circle, creating new and different presentations ......... quartering away at different angles of left to right, then left to right crossers, then quartering towards me, then finally straight to me overhead. I'd then continue in the circle and all those presentations would be presented from right to left. At each "station" I'd stay until I smoked three or four ............. not chips .......... dust. I'd be alone, so that I wasn't distracted by conversation. I shot the best scores of my life when I was doing this. It's the best practice I ever did.

Good luck in your search. Go for the best you can. You won't ever regret it.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I love my MEC!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unless you're going with a top name, the Mec is probably the best. At one time ProMatic had the motor and gearbox as one unit. If either went south you were buying both at once. And they had plastic gears where as the Linclon doesn't. The wireless remotes also come with a plug in voice release but you're talking about 4/500$ just for the release. We use Linclon and LaPorte at my club and are very satisfied, but then they're 3/50004 machines.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Paul, I'm confused by your last statement ............ 3/50004 machines ?

All my best, SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Never mind, I figured out what you meant, I think. You were saying 3 to 5k$ machines.

Best, SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Texas Premier Sporting Arms sporting clays range and club uses Promatic traps. Fully adjustable for speed, angle, elevation, and range and completely reliable. 12 volt battery powered and remote operated. Often soaked and sometimes flooded in heavy Texas rains, but still reliably operated.
After being involved with clay pigeon shooting for over 60 years, I have found the Promatic traps to be the most reliable.

Jim Haynes

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.