March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (bigblock, docbill, battle, eightbore, GeorgeGibbs505, 1 invisible), 870 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#543534 04/13/19 10:48 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Gents, Newbie to the doubles collecting scene. I have a Old Sauer Prussian bought a few years back, and picked up a couple old buggers the other day. They function check well but are pretty grimy. This one is marked Scott. Is it worthy to be restored?
Best regards,
Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

Depends on what you mean by "restore." If you mean a high state of originality, a resounding "NO." This was always a farmer/trade/tool gun. It would have minimal value even in near new. As a DIY project to learn some gun skills, yes. You would need to spend some money to confirm by a gunsmith that the barrels are sound. There are a number of cosmetic and functional things that, probably, you could do on your own. "Fugidabout" economically increasing its value.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

To encourage you a little; this gun was made by one of the most important gunmakers of the day,WM Scott, early in his career. Made after his brother Charles joined him in the company but before they changed the company name to W&C Scott and son,a most famous name in Gunmaking.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Forgive me, but that's a piece of junk. Too far gone. Hang it on the wall and forget about it.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: justin
To encourage you a little; this gun was made by one of the most important gunmakers of the day,WM Scott, early in his career. Made after his brother Charles joined him in the company but before they changed the company name to W&C Scott and son,a most famous name in Gunmaking.

That all might be true, but, I doubt that esteemed company had a notion that it would still exist at this late date. They finished it, put it in a box, and sent it to India or some other colony, or sold it to an English farmer, likely a poor English farmer, and after they collected the few pence profit, never thought about it again.

John is right. If the goal of owning a gun is actually shooting it, far better examples exist.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Now I dont want to be embroiled in an argument of what is junk and what is not. But!! This gun in the 1960s was classed as Junk!! Written off as a wall hanger. Why? A hammer gun, Damascus barrels, non ejector, and the cost to repair it was more than a cheap Spanish side by side ejector. I dont need to say any more other than I purchased it as a wall hanger. Value now for this piece of junk? How opinions can change. So what is junk today who knows in fifty years time?

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob, is there a serial # on the trigger guard?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus,
I detect a bit of a quality difference between your own junker, and the pictured Scott. One was worth the effort, one is not.

I doubt 50 years will change that.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Sold it to an English farmer, likely a poor English farmer."
I've yet to meet a poor English farmer, they just claim to be .
wink
Now, a tight farmer.... that's more like it smile

No offence intended to anyone, it just made me grin when I read it.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very few people in the 1960s had knowledge of how many top line maker guns where treated as valueless and scraped by the gun trade here in Brit land. Well the reasoning was simple Spanish guns where so cheap, guns with Damascus barrels and hammers where given a bad reputation over safety falsely, by many of the gun trade members. Also there where fewer people who could repair a gun than simply sell one and make a good profit. In my late teens and early twenties I at one time or another owned practically every first line London makers Damascus barrelled hammer gun all valued as more or less worthless. I did keep the Purdey bar in wood and had it restored, though I was told many times I had more money than sense. Finally on one early morning Pigeon shoot in the 1960s myself and friends between us had under our arms hammer guns made by Adams, Holland & Holland, Purdey. Churchill, and most of the good makers in between because they where cheap to purchase, though eventually being scrapped for the false delights of no Damascus no hammers though having fancy ejectors.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.