May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 577 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,541
Posts546,044
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
builder #543013 04/04/19 03:52 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: builder
Is fiddleback seen in all types of walnut?

Yes, and many more species as well.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

keith #543014 04/04/19 03:53 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
RARiddel, here's a short article with illustrations of fiddleback, and several other types of figure in wood:

https://gobywalnut.com/blogs/articles/lets-talk-about-figure

No one know what causes fiddleback. It may be more apparent with different cut orientations, but cut alone has nothing to do with the presence of fiddleback in a piece of wood. The effect comes from the way light reflects off of the undulating grain. It is thought to be genetic, but no specific gene has been found yet. It may be that it takes a combination of a tree having the correct gene, and some environmental factor to turn on that gene or genes. A tree that has fiddleback will have it from the trunk out to the smallest branches. In the 1920's and 1930's, attempts were made by the Northern Nut Growers Assn., and the USDA to propagate walnut trees with highly figured grain through grafting. These experiments were largely unsuccessful.

French, English, Turkish, Circassian, Persian, and Carpathian walnuts are all variations of the same species, Juglans Regia. There are a number of other Juglans Regia cultivars too. Black walnut is Juglans Nigra, Claro is Juglans Hindsii, and Bastogne is a hybrid cross between English and Claro.

Keith is right on the money.

Here is another site, with a good illustration of quarter sawn, rift sawn, and flat (aka slab)sawn:

http://www.hardwooddistributors.org/post...in-sawn-lumber/

And here are some handsome stocks, mostly from quarter sawn blanks:

An AyA model 116:

Martin Ugarteburu model 125:

Ugartechea model 41:

Martin Ugarteburu Model 115:

builder #543036 04/04/19 09:15 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: builder
Is fiddleback seen in all types of walnut?

No. It depends on species and the part of the tree that the wood came from. It can be seen in most species but is more evident on species like Claro. Thin shelled (French, English, etc.) is less likely to show much fiddleback, while Claro blanks may show strong fiddleback from end to end.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What species do NOT have any fiddle at all? I can't name one.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

In maple, this type of grain variation is called by many names including rapid grain, ripple, fiddleback, curl (curly), flame and tiger-stripe. All are the same grain pattern, to varying degrees. It is estimated that one in twenty-five maple trees exhibit this grain figure. The closer together the striping, the "tighter the curl". I have long rifles that are so curly that the striping occurs about 3/8" to 1/2" apart for the full length of the stock. It is astonishing to see.

You can sometimes determine if a standing tree is curly by slashing off a portion of the bark and looking at the grain below the cambium layer. I have spent many hours walking my woods with a hand axe checking maples for curl. My experience has led me to think that the 1 in 25 number may be too high. I've checked innumerable maples in the spring, and have yet to find one that is curly to any degree. Yet, I have about seven slow dried curly maple long rifle stocks that were cut from a tree in the 1970s, that grew locally. So, I know it can be anywhere. Fortune is where you find it.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
What species do NOT have any fiddle at all? I can't name one.

He said TYPES, not species. IFAIK, all species can have fiddleback, but not generally throughout the tree. Perhaps I misunderstood the OP. Not a fan of fiddleback myself, I prefer marble cake and lots of mineral streaking.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've read - and I don't recall where but it was long ago - that fiddleback in the grain structure is caused by the wind blowing predominately from the same direction for the tree's entire life. May have been in Howe's book on gunsmithing but I don't think that was it. And it may not have even been true.

Roger

Sidelock
Sidelock

When we were in high school, a buddy of mine stocked a rifle he was making in something called "Yama Wood". It had the most pronounced fiddleback I've ever seen...Geo

dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Here is another example

they usually charge you extra for that nice grain pattern!

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last edited by Howie; 04/06/19 10:36 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.