April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (fallschirmjaeger, David Williamson, GSPWillie, bigblock, arrieta2, 1 invisible), 429 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,807
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

For those young enough to have the time left to get new equipment and learn to use it; you might benefit from a couple you tube machinist that show various projects with casting and making molds; some with traditional pattern making, and some with 3D printed molds. A challenge would be finding metal suitable to cast gun parts from. You might check out MrPete222, Keith Rucker at Vintage Machinery.org, and maybe Sand Rammer would help with mold making. This is not my "thing", but it seems to have some application to the things that interest us.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Im pretty sure Steve, that thats how companies like Renovators Supply duplicate all the old hardware patterns. Hinges, doors sets, what not.

My son-in-law made my daughters engagement ring on a 3-D printer that laser fused sintered metal. He said cost was by weight of matl used.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great progress with the scanner and especially with the product output coming off the CNC. Some diehard muzzleloader folks are moving away from castings to CNC products and with a scanner setup like yours some of the fancy relief engraved Jaeger furniture could be made.

Anyway, super job using the equipment.

Dennis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
Craig,
Small edits to the scan data are easy to do. It is adding editable features to a CAD program that really takes time. You certainly can scale items up once you have an editable feature in order to compensate for shrinkage if you wanted to make a mold. Options are endless. The trick will be cranking out a usable product at a reasonable price.
Steve

Sounds like the 4-function calculator, circa 1975: already getting use and coming down in price, but not yet commodified. Give it 10 years and this will be everywhere for making custom parts, and the price will have come way down.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I think I may have confused some forum members when I posted pictures of the plastic proto-type. I simply used the plastic to test my tool paths on the mill and get an idea as to how the part would turn out. Since the last post I have added a flood coolant system to my mill greatly improving the machining aspect of things while simultaneously creating huge mess in my shop. Fix one thing create another issue. Seems about right. Anyway, the steel hammer for the left side of the gun has been. I now need to fit it up to the tumbler and test it on the gun.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pretty neat. So now what is the value added cost of the above hammer?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Smooth going with the fit up. Only curious, if you scan a part, can your program create a mirror image. Say, if one hammer were missing, can it be machined off a scan of the opposite?

SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

That is exactly what was done in this case Craig, I made the left hammer using the right hammer as a pattern. Once I imported my model of the right hammer into Solidworks (CAD program) it was a simple matter to create a mirror image of the model to create the left hammer model.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

What scanner?

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.