March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hammergun, welder, canvasback, Lloyd3, SKB, Owenjj3), 795 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Travis,
You can adjust the kerosene to smoke.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I still have the carbide (acetylene based) lamp from Camp Matthews CA- where we qualified with the M-1's- and later, the M-14's-- Use a acetylene torch without the oxygen and you'll get all the soot you need. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just use a Zippo most of the time. Gets kinda hot after a long session but at least the room doesn't fill up with soot.

The other thing that works pretty well is inletting black,,but you have to put it on VERY sparingly. You don't want any build up of the marker on the surfaces.

For that a toothbrush works well and start out with just a dot of the black onto the bristles. I charge and if needed recharge the brush by swiping it into the inside of the cap on the little bottle.
There's more than enough there to do the job. Scrub it onto the metal surfaces you want to blacken and it'll just barely darken them,,that's good enough to get a read.

No candles, no soot lamps, no Zippos

Sidelock
Sidelock

Be sure to keep the barrel flats equal distance above the water table. If you don't the center of one chamber will be higher than the other.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Prussian Blue just because it is so easy to clean up. NOT...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I watched my German friend Gerold Pheffer fit several barrel sets to guns( two of which were mine). He fit the barrels to the receiver without the hinge pin being installed. After he was satisfied with the fit, then he marked and cut the "hook" in the barrels. He polished with a fine cut file, loaded with chalk and oiled; that is removing almost no metal in the final fit. He "filed like a machine", at times working thousandths of an inch from thousands of dollars worth of engraving, without putting a scratch on it. Amazing. It may help if you remove the hinge pin, fit the barrels, then replace the pin.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I appreciate all the input. I am making progress but am intentionally taking it slow. My tendency is bull in china shop but I am working on my finesse game:). I will post some pics of process and progress.

BTW why hasn't anyone mentioned a black sharpie marker?

Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alcohol-Lamp-Burner-Glass-Spirit-Lamp-with-3-16-Adjustable-Wick-1-Extra-Wick/222858253306?hash=item33e36313fa:g:FoEAAOxylk1RehxY:rk:6:pf:0

i use kerosene in an "alcohol lamp." run a tiny flame when not smoking and makes little smoke and not hot at all, even with a large flame.

skunk out
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have been working on this intermittently since I originally posted.

This barrel is from and earlier Nitro special but my receiver is a later receiver. It just so happens there is an earlier shotgun in a local gun shop that I looked at today and observed some differences.

The earlier gun has a little recess in the water table at the lever trip hole and the area "B" fits down in that recess and the recess allows the raised area "B" to drop down below the water table allowing the barrel flats to sit down on the water table. The later receiver I have does not have this recess so I flushed the raised area at "B" down equal to the barrel flats.

I have been using a sharpie marker up to this point but I feel I am getting down to the critical last adjustments so please feel to chime in.

This is what I am working with prior to blacking with the sharpie marker.

I can get a .005 feeler gauge in at both sides close to the breach but it is tight closer to the pin. I cannot see any light now between chamber face and breach face.

This is what it looks like after blacking and setting the barrel 5-6 times.

Thoughts?

Many thanks

Travis

Last edited by Travis S; 02/16/19 08:51 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You are really close. put the extractor back in as it may or may not interfere. Use some 4 or 600 grit paper with a metal backer to lightly polish the high spots on the breach end and the end of the locking extension. How much contact do you have on the hook? you should get the top lever back in to see how it mates to the locking extension. get all that done and the fore end iron will probably need fitting. Good work and good luck.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.