March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jimmy W, SKB, battle, 1 invisible), 342 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sun dogs up here just mean it's f'ing cold. Carried mail on walking routes for 24 years. Hot or cold didn't bother the guys in the office. -28 to+ 110. Always easier to stay warm than cool off. For whoever asked about guns and shells in -0 never had any problems. The good thing is the colder it is the better the traction is. If the snow squeaks as you walk, and your mustache gets ice init the wild chill is -15 to - 20. Since it was sunny yesterday, even though the high was -9 there was a rooster pheasant feeding in the corn field west of the house. Heat is way worse than cold.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We haven't had any cold weather to speak of this winter here in N ID. Supposed to get into single digits in a few days and that'll be the coldest we've had this winter if it happens.

Been there and done that concerning cold temps and wind chills when I lived in AK. Shoot, the schools wouldn't close until it hit -70 with the wind chill or when a whiteout occurred, which happened often enough! Can't say that I miss it much.

I looked forward to -20 or colder temps and those rare days when the wind didn't blow...it usually meant some seriously good fox calling! I do miss the fox calling.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The very good thing about hunting in sub zero cold, was, you had it all to yourself.

The cold does effect ammunition, and I did usually switch to the bigger Pheasants Forever 1 1/4 oz loads of number 5s. Id say there were fewer shots, and I tried to make em count.

I havent been out in the cold like that in years, and while I did plenty of it, Im not sure Ill do much more of it. It takes it out of you, that is for sure. I can remember a day in Marshal, MN, when the temp was all of 0, and the wind was howling like a jet engine. It does that there. I shivered uncontrollably when I started, and only stopped after I had a few hard miles of walking behind me. I ended up with a limit or roosters, but, wondered if it was worth it. I knew I was hypothermic, when it was happening, and it didnt have to end with birds in the pot.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Had to go to Alaska years ago for a January meeting with one of the native corporations, way north of the Arctic Circle. Arrived in blizzard conditions, -60F temp, wind chill at -100, and they postponed the meeting because they couldn't get their snowmobiles started to come into the village. Had the day to wander around in that weather, completely dark. Miserable.

It got into the 50s today at home, with some rain, so I'm cooking up a big tub of dove chili with black beans, onions, tomatoes and lime, lots of spice. Almost ready to go.

Sidelock
Sidelock

we have a King Air missing for the past 24 hours and search parties turned back due to a blizzard,

Hey Arctic, any news on the King Air, from the report I read, at the time of flight, weather conditions were really not that bad.

You guys live in unforgiving conditions,
Stan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Many thanks-- I have done a fair amount of tubular frame welding for local Harley shops- always wondered about the older- "Pan-Heads, Knuckle-Heads and Shovel-Head" engine blocks-- But you surely know those older JD's-- maybe someday I'll have a 520 with a Woods bush hog, we have about 17 acres - about 2/3 is brush and vines- floodplain.

A neighbor got his new tractor-( Kubota 80 HP series I think) stuck when he went down on my land to the river- to clear out and area for deer hunting blinds- (bow hunting only)-- Boy Howdy- that "Tagahatchi Tractor" went down into the muck and mire like a big ol' Brown bear settin' down in a washtub fulla honey..

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

A pal of mine, first-rate arc welder too- got a job on the Alaskan pipeline in the 1970's-- They worked 12 on/12 off shifts, had heated canopies around each joint in the 48" dia pipe- so the bitter wind was "tolerable"-- and the $34.00/hr. scale helped.

They never shut the diesels off- including the big Lincoln DC welding machines--One morning, at break, a big crane was about to lift a big piece of sheet steel- diamond tread style- for decking-- all 4 corners were secured with eye-ringed clamps, and the steel was up off the frozen ground on RR ties-- the crane rigger set the lift hooks at all 4 corners, and backed away, waved his hand in the "lift load" signal, and as the sheet cleared the ties- it shattered like a plate glass window"-- Mister- that is COLD weather....

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry to read King Air, two fatalities.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
Sorry to read King Air, two fatalities.

So there was 1 survivor, there was 3 aboard?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Going to be apprehensive of King Airs for a bit, ...understand 3 dead in Alaska, two dead here North of Yellowknife, and one blew an engine and had to return to Sachs Harbour today.
The air community has been hit hard and the entire North is in mourning!

"A Stranger is a Friend we haven't Met"
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.