April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bigblock, arrieta2, SKB, Southern Sport, Perry M. Kissam, 1 invisible), 1,152 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,844
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

NO kidding!

Alan

Sidelock
Sidelock

I get the weekly emails from Purdey. One of these days I'm going to need some of that stuff. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, but I'm going to need it.

But, If a fellow was going to have just one shotgun, and shotgun hunting/shooting was going to be his only hobby.... a Purdey just might be a bargain. I have an 8'X40' storage container full of stuff I'll likely not get much use out of any more.

Alan

Sidelock
Sidelock

My father got me hooked on side bys. He a German 16 gauge made by August Schuller. He used it for trap, skeet, and dove and quail hunting. He didn't miss that often. The dang thing balanced beautifully. I had my eye on the Zephyr Woodlander, that was imported by SToeger's, and then a French 16 gauge that was imported by Ye Olde Hunter. Ended up buying a Browning Superposed Great gun, but it was big. I had two side bys after it. His 16 and a Bernardelli 20 gauge Series Uberto I. They seemed as if they were an extension of my arm. I don't see that with an over and under. I know trap shooters shoot over and unders. I am buying a Model 21 trap gun. I know I will be looked upon as a weirdo, but I just like side bys.

Sidelock
Sidelock

i saw a trim little SXS hopkins and allen 20 ga hammer gun at a flea market one saturday when i was a teen [ ~ 1967 ] ....loved the look and balance....didnt want to spend what little money i had....few years later, was left a stevens hammerless SXS by a 90 + y.o.friend [ who had no heirs ] who told me it had taken 2 bears, 18 deer, and countless ducks, geese, other birds, rabbits etc that really got me started -shot more ducks, geese, pheasant, grouse with it ....now i have parkers, foxes, lefevers, ithaca 4 E , LC Smiths, winchester 21s ,baker, spanish, italian, and german guns, francotte, and drillings etc and.... oh yes, a few years back found an identical hopkins and allen 20 ga hammer gun... have shot grouse, chukar, and ptarmigan with it.... stepson took his first bird ever with it.... yes... i am hooked i guess : )

Last edited by cable; 02/15/19 02:12 AM.

cable
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shot pumps and autos as a teenager but really lusted for a Browning Midas grade superposed as shown in the color glossy catalogs of the mid 60's. Never could afford one. Then the Winchester 101's came out in the mid 70's and I bought a 12 and 20 through the base exchange overseas. Didnt shoot them well, and went back to an 1100 until I picked up a Winchester Model 23 in 1985. 12 ga, 28 in bbls and it settled into my shoulder and cheek like it was born there. I bought it on the spot for $900 with case, and never looked back. I hunted everything with it from quail to geese and shot it better than anything else I had. I sold it after I bought my first Parker, a 16 ga GHE in 1995, and got hooked on vintage doubles. Nothing seems to sit as well as a side by side. All other guns seem to me top heavy in comparison. My son shoots my Parker 16's and I think he is hooked also.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Went to Alaska gun collector's show in Anchorage in the early 80's where I discovered I could afford a couple pre-1900 SxS's. I then got a subscription to "Shotgun News" where you could find most anything that shoots! A paragraph description and telephone number and asking price (no photos). Really good traders. I bought and traded and had a blast untill business/kids/life caused a many year break!
I'm back now!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Glad you're back...I shot vintage too because that's all I could afford.

Truth is I'd rather had a new one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I began hunting squirrels with a single shot 22 while in high school but wanted a SXS. However, my dad bought me a new 12 gauge single shot Winchester M37 for Christmas so I hunted pheasants with that for the next few years. I still wanted a SXS and ended up trading a rifle I had for a single trigger 12 gauge LC Smith SXS. A beautiful gun to look at but a big mistake, it kept spontaneously discharging. I took it to a so called gunsmith and he charged me $75 to repair it. Life got in the way after that and I never did get a chance to use it and ended up selling it to a guy I worked with. Fortunately, I gave him a copy of the repair receipt. We went our separate ways until a few years later when we became reacquainted and he told me the story of how the gun, while lying in his lap in a duck blind, had spontaneously fired both barrels with the recoil flinging it into the adjoining swamp. Only because he had the repair receipt and knew that Id not used the gun since Id had it repaired saved me from trouble. My next SXS was a 16 gauge Stevens 5100, in terrible cosmetic shape that I purchased for $35. Before I worked it over I took it to the trap range to try out. I was teamed with two other shooters both with beautiful O/Us. They both looked at me and my SXS with complete disdain. I was embarrassed and mentioned that I hadnt fired a shotgun in 15 years. They then looked as if someone in their midst (me) had stepped in dog crap. I went on to shoot a respectable 21 while they shot a 7 and an 8. The next round I shot a 22 and they still shot in single digits. I turned around after my last shot and theyd both disappeared! Unfortunately, I sold that old Stevens and it wasnt until a lifetime friend called in 1998 and asked me to go pheasant hunting with him in SD (using a borrowed shotgun) that I again became hooked on pheasant hunting. In about 2001 purchased a 12 gauge Parker VH. Its been 18 years now, I sold the Parker years ago and have run through about 20 SXSs including hammer guns and the whole gauntlet of gauges from a 10 gauge to several .410s. For a while I had several keepers including a true 36 gauge percussion SXS, a well-worn British .410 hammer gun SXS, and a super lightweight French 16 gauge guild gun. In 2004 cancer reared its ugly head taking, in 2011, not only my wife/best friend of nearly 42 years but also nearly everything else I owned fighting it. The only SXS I was able to hang on to was my 16 gauge French guild gun. Today the only SXSs I have are the 16 gauge French guild gun, a 12 gauge Pedersoli SXS ML, a 13 gauge Belgium SXS ML, and a nice svelte .410 SXS that I crafted from an incredibly ugly Brazilian made Rossi (my Sows ear project that I posted about back in 2012).

Steve

PS nice thread you started Joe. As you can see the 13 gauge ML I had that you were interested in is still for sale!

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Steve I'm truly sorry to hear of your loss.

Thanks but no thanks on the muzzle loader I graduated muzzle loaders several years back.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Enjoyed your story, Steve. Are you still traveling about, or have you "grounded" someplace specific for now?

Best to you, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.