April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Argo44, Jason Dubois, bushveld, Karl Graebner, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 744 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,840
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
LGF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have been using up some Bismuth No-Tox shells that are over 15 years old. They leave lots of unburnt powder in the barrels, and I seem to be hitting even fewer ducks at longer ranges than usual. The shells have been stored in a cool dry place, but is this a sign of deterioration? This is not the original brittle bismuth shot, so that is not the problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LGF
,but is this a sign of deterioration?

Probably, but not of the shells themselves. Likely of your abilities to hit solidly at longer ranges. I shoot shells that are much, much older than those with no issues from deterioration of the shell's power.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 01/17/19 11:09 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
seem to be hitting even fewer ducks at longer ranges than usual.

Answer probably depends on what your "usual" load is. Comparing bismuth to something like tungsten-iron or Federal Heavyweight will not give you the same results at longer ranges because of pattern density and retained energy downrange. Even comparing bismuth to quality steel loads will give different results at longer ranges. Big steel pellets will often kill better than smaller bismuth pellets, depending on loads, chokes, etc. I have never liked bismuth, but I have a bunch of it that I will shoot up eventually.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I assumed he was saying that his usual load is the same as what he is now using, but I may be wrong in that assumption.

My experience with bismuth shot has been different, and pleasing. I have used some Bismuth branded shells, but now use reloads of 1 1/4 oz. #4B. A couple of weeks ago I was shooting these loads out of my HE SuperFox. A drake mallard came over from behind and did not attempt to light in the spread, but headed straight away. I put the right barrel into his rear at about 35 yards. He shuddered, continued on, and dropped dead aways out. He was retrieved by Max. IMO, this is the hardest shot in duck hunting to drop a duck dead to rights. Most times, with steel, he will continue on to die someplace unseen, and unretrieved. I usually won't even take that shot with steel. I am more impressed with bismuth than ever. I'd rather use lead............... but it is what it is.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The question is about un-burnt powder left in the barrel not the effectiveness of Bismuth shot.

I suspect the powder he's seeing is just flake powder residue that actually burnt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My guess is that early bismuth was fragile stuff, shattering or some other dynamic because I saw crazy things happening I hadn't seen before: ducks crippled that should have been stone dead in the air, then cripples covered by shot on the water without effect, like some kind of magic.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
... then cripples covered by shot on the water without effect, like some kind of magic.

I have seen that countless times, most of them back in the days of lead. I think you over interpret.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a bunch of Bismuth shot from about 20 years ago. Recently I took a #2 pellet, put it on an anvil and tapped it with a small ball peen hammer. It almost exploded, sending fragments all over the room! Can't imagine what it looks like going out the muzzle of a barrel. Think I'll pattern it on paper and see how much shrapnel there is.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
LGF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, jOe. Yes, I am seeing lots of large yellow oval flakes in the barrels and I just don't recall noticing that when I was using these shells years ago. But there is a lot I don't recall any more! The shot itself is okay, not the early brittle stuff, # 4 through full chokes. As to my shooting, I was doing alright with newer Rio Bismuth shells a month ago. It is the old No-Tox that leaves the barrels filthy and the more distant ducks unscathed, which made me wonder if the velocity of the No-Tox is low.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ive only loaded Bismuth for an old 10 ga. but I have patterned several different brands of factory Bismuth on a steel pattern plate. Bismuth throws a nice even 35 and 40 yard pattern for me...upon impact a #4 leaves a dime size splat in the grease.

I don't think the nay sayers would like to get hit with it...I know ducks and a few turkeys that didn't.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.