April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Mills, FallCreekFan, Ted Schefelbein, Joe Wood, 2 invisible), 411 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,787
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

By "under gunned" Jon, do I surmise that you use a .410 for dove and quail, but never for dangerous game animals? I once read that WRA took a 20 gauge M21 and re-barreled for a .405 calibre "double express rifle""- possibly one is in the Cody Museum. Let's see, a .405 caliber would fall between a .375 H&H Magnum, and a .416 Rigby, correct.

We get into feral pigs on occasion, thanks to some that escaped their pens from a private wild game ranch, a few clicks NE from where I live. One of my farmer friends in that area is a real rifle "nut" and likes the big bores- Mauser style BA rifles, and has a .375 H&H Magnum, and killed a large boar with it this past Sept (no closed season on feral pigs, and no license req'd here in MI to kill them.

That largish caliber might be "over kill" for moose, I don't know, as I have never hunted moose, or elk. But as the late Robert C. Ruark once wrote these words of wisdom: "Use enough gun!"

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I began hunting, I was a big fan of Jack O'Conner, and became a disciple of the small bore light bullets at high velocity school of thought promoted by him and Roy Weatherby. Then I started hunting with a flintlock and noticed that large diameter bullets or balls at modest velocities did a better job. They killed all out of proportion to their kinetic energy.

Elmer Keith was right.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ky I had an elephant charge me when I was hunting mice at the Memphis zoo...

You know how I killed him KY...

I threw a fire cracker in his ear.

No doubt a cherry bomb would've been better but the small cracker did him in.

Wish I had taken pictures.

Oh well...maybe next time.

Last edited by HomelessjOe; 12/25/18 08:06 AM. Reason: How the hell did we get here....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bob Cash
Other than the Galazan Model 21’s which are built on scaled or “Baby” frames,
the Winchester 28 and 410’s were built on the 20 gauge frame.

You're right, Bob. Was thinking of those Galazan guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are differing opinions as to "Frame Sizes". With Parker, it is quite obvious if the scooted the firing pin spacing in a 16th of an inch & took a bot off the perimeter of the standing breech they called it another frame size. Personally, I do not call that another frame size.

Many .410s have been built on what were essentially 12 ga frames by the act of putting the firing pins close together & cutting down the standing breech. L C Smith ran of ability to lower the top so they elevated the barrels higher above the action flats to compensate. Many .410s so built have a bar so wide they have almost "No Balls" left.

Personally, a .410 to me doesn't even classify as Cute, unless it is built in proportion with a teeny matching frame, but of course, that's just my opinion.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What is the current thought about Model 21’s with serial numbers under 1700

Cody did not have any info on mine

Last edited by Bushmaster; 12/26/18 02:02 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

To go back to your original question, there are a couple of things that you can do. If Cody has no records, you can check the link that Researcher kindly provided.

You can also go to the Griffin and Howe site and check to see if your serial number appears in their database. This would mean that it was purchased and sold at some point by A&F. If so, this may tell you more.

As the current owner, you can document as much about it as possible. If you do not currently have Schwing's book on the Model 21 I would recommend purchasing a copy and study the features and characteristics of your gun. Does your gun jive with what Schwing presents and illustrates? Again, write notes with dates and keep a file on your gun.

As to "authenticity" it is a Winchester Model 21. What a potential buyer will be interested in down the road is original condition. Or, what if any modifications have been done and by whom.

People like the letter. Whether it is from Cody, the PGCA, etc. Since Cody has no record, and if the other options show nothing, it will be important to have that self-generated file, to include the fact that Cody has no record. More importantly, be a good steward of the gun for as long as you wish to hold onto it. Personally, I do not feel that you will have any problem down the road selling an early production Model 21.

Finally and most importantly, enjoy it. Care for it and use it in your chosen activities. They were meant to be used.

Hope this helped.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.