March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Travis S, 12boreman, MattH), 623 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm watching/listening to the Holt's auction via the online bid platform Invaluable. I keep seeing lots with an opening bid of say 7,000 but the auctioneer says there is a commission bid of 8500 so that a where he starts the bidding! Odd... you could likely get a better price by bidding online even with paying the 5% charged by Invaluable

On a side note, both today and yesterday at Gardiners, pairs and triples of nice sidelock ejectors were going cheaply! A pair of Evan's for 2,900! Or 4,000 for a pair of Grant sidelevers

Last edited by claycrusher1900; 12/13/18 12:05 PM.

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lots of bargains to be had this side of the pond at the moment. Guns not making what they should. Even adding on your import costs now is a good time to start searching. Lagopus…..

Sidelock
Sidelock

What I gather on the absentee bidding is that when the auctioneer has competing absentee bids for an item he starts the floor bidding at the highest contested absentee bid. He does not bid the maximum amount that the absent bidder will pay, but only up to the next uncontested increment. The subsequent floor bidder may still bid against the absentee bid held by the auctioneer.

Also note that the sterling is down due to Brexit concerns.

Did anyone get lucky today??? I picked up a nice sidelock yesterday at Gavin's auction for a song.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Owen, was it the Atkins? If so, wish I had seen that earlier - you might have had to pay more, ha.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan, Guilty as charged!

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Congrats! Looks like a beautiful gun with many practical attributes (2 3/4 chambers and a nice 15 inch LOP on the stock). Post pics when you get it in hand.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I purchased the Reilly side-lever 16 gauge. The above explanation of competing bids might explain why Gavin started the sale of the Reilly at £1,600 rather that a hundred or so below the estimated minimum per most of the rest of the auction. I'll still ask him. A lot of guns didn't sell and there were what seemed to be bargains.

Explanation why I bought the Reilly: I only keep a few doubles in the house; I'm not a collector; all are shot regularly; I gave away my 16 bore Saint-Etienne Gerest Berthon to my Dau-in-law and needed a 16. I'd decided on a side-lever and was looking for 30" steel barrels. This Reilly met everything I wanted and it was a Reilly to match my 12 bore (and I've done a lot of research on Reilly's so it's appropriate). The specs were very interesting:

30" Whitworth steel barrels, 2 3/4" chambers, true cylinder & 1/2. Broad file-cut rib; dolls head extension; built on a Scott Climax action; side lever, backlocks, crystal indicators, Perkes patent ejectors, nitro re-proof. Side clips to the fences. It's heavy for a 16 bore, 6 lbs 9 oz. Gavin said it was built to "pigeon specs" (but I've never heard of a 16 ga pigeon gun). The LOP is only 14" but I'll be adding a 3/4" old style pad. The stock looks "plain" and may need some refinishing.

SN 27553 per my chart on the Reilly line would have been dated Autumn 1885. The interesting thing is that like 27854 and 27570 it has "Paris" on one barrel. I've opted to keep the last rue Scribe gun as SN 27340 around end of July 1885 for reasons that can be read on the Reilly Chronology line.

The interesting thing is that the specifications for 27533 are almost identical to Terry Buffum's 27854 sold a couple of years ago except Terry's was a 12 bore. I let the price Terry's sold for sort of guide me in this auction but really I just plain wanted the gun.

Terry's gun. #2 of a pair ================================================================

http://www.amoskeagauction.com/110/133.php

serial #27854, 12 ga., 30" barrels with bright excellent bores choked full and full. This shotgun is built on a W. & C. Scott crystal indicator action with side clips and with each lock being engraved "E.M. REILLY & CO. / LONDON". The markings on the tops of the barrel are difficult to read but appear to be the E.M. Reilly & Company name and London address on the left barrel and a Paris address on the right barrel. The shotgun was part of a set and is numbered "2" in gold on dolls head rib extension and engraved on interior forend metal. The barrels are Birmingham nitro proofed for 2 3/4" shells with 1 1/16 oz. loads. The minimum wall thickness is generally .0245 with one small area that gets to .023. The action and locks show near full coverage tight English scroll engraving with a nice round flower panel on top of action. The barrels retain about 95% evenly thinning restored blue finish overall. The action and locks show an even gray patina and remain very smooth and free of pitting. The checkered straight grip walnut buttstock and splinter forend rate very good plus as refinished long ago. The gun features a 14 5/8" length of pull over checkered butt and shows drops of 1 1/2" and 2 3/8". The gun locks up tight and points beautifully. A neat crystal indicator sidelever Reilly Ejectorgun. (17147-176) {C&R} [Terry Buffum Collection] (1500/2500) SOLD FOR $2,300.00

Is it possible to have a pair, one 16 ga, one 12 ga, ...one with a "1" the other with a "2"?.... because 27553 and 27840 sure look identical, even down to the description of the engraving on 17840.

Last edited by Argo44; 12/13/18 10:35 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Since this was my first international auction, I would like to offer a couple of more comments (and these will sound really naive to you fellows):

1) Gavin sent me a pretty complete description of the gun. Nevertheless I asked a well-known expert to take a look at the Reilly, stipulating that I needed the info a couple of days before the auction. I receive his report at 0400 hrs on the morning of the auction. My bid was already in. He is very well known but it looks like he's fallen into a habit of providing late reports. I'm going to make a point of this with him - that if he gets a bad reputation, it's going to hurt his business. PM me if you want the name.

2). I still am wondering about the propriety of Gavin's gavel. Almost all the guns leading up to the Reilly began the bidding at a couple of hundred pounds below the lowest estimate. The Reilly was very near the end of the auction assessed at £1200 - £1800. Before putting it up, he talked to his assistant, mentioned it was a "very interesting gun." then, "I think we'll start this lot at..oh... £1600. £1650. Sold. It took 5 seconds and gaveled at my high bid. There may have been another £1600 absentee bid but the way it was done doesn't create a lot of confidence. I will ask him about this. Maybe he was just tired after 321 lots. But I've dealt with London carpet merchants at auction and have healthy skepticism about them. Perhaps it's a London thing?

Anyway, I got the gun I wanted even if it is a little expensive and its not going anywhere so all's well that ends well.

Last edited by Argo44; 12/13/18 09:56 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Argo,

The chunk of metal that splits the "Nitro ... Proof" in half in the flat photo, looks just like the cocking lugs on my Beesley built Lancaster self-opener (ca 1894). They were known as the "Wrist Breakers".
With the sidelever and ejectors, I think the gun uses the Beesley patent, cock on close, action.
This is the action Beesley sold to Purdey probably not long after this gun was built.
The gun is cool.

Toby or Lagopus can hopefully add more.

All Best,

Joe in Charlotte

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Thanks Joe: I was wondering about that thingy.
-- 1880, 16 Nov - Beesley patent 31 - Sidelock hammerless action marketed by Purdey

I'll add the water table and it is interesting. At 6lbs 9 oz for a 16ga, at least I won't be having the crap kicked out of me. None of the screws are indexed...lots of work I suspect but if it shoots well, I don't really care. Gene Williams

Last edited by Argo44; 12/13/18 10:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.