Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Always possible to track down the maker of a specific A&N gun via the company records. Held by the University of Glasgow, IIRC? Webley & Scott made a bunch of them. And W&S continued to use the Webley screw grip after the two firms merged.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RARiddell
from this nonsense, I didn't think it was correct, but I do like the gun.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/793770601

Suggest you carefully read “Additional terms of sale” in the ad. I had an absolutely terrible experience with Commonwealth Arsenal. The gun had great photos and flowery verbiage but upon receipt I found the barrels were so thin as to be unsafe with even light ammunition. The three day return policy was a joke because the fine print relieved the seller from having to refund the money. Needless to say I was stuck with an unusable gun and a couple thousand dollars short. STAY AWAY FROM THEM!

Oh, he did offer to relist the gun and send me whatever it sold for, less his commission. Yeah, right.....

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Army Navy retailed some pretty nice guns as evidenced by this side lock. Sorry for the poor photos. The yellow band on the top lever, is to remind me the gun has short chambers.

Last edited by SXS 40; 12/12/18 11:50 PM.

HWK
Sidelock
Sidelock

No reason I can see to tie it to Wilkes. Every reason I see ties it to W&S. A Letter/fax to the University in Glascow may well settle the question decisively. Might also cost $50.

DDA

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I contacted Glasgow, they said they would look into it. I cant say I want that particular gun, the said Wilkes connection to A&N peaked my curiousity about it, but I do like the way that particular model looks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want to look at a nice A&N sidelock by W&S, built on the Webley screw grip action, go to www.champlinarms.com. Plain in terms of engraving. But given the condition, dimensions, etc, I'd say that's a good prospect--at a decent price, once you figure in the smallbore premium.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Army and Navy Cooperative was an extremely diverse business offering every conceivable product for active duty or retired military officers. Think of them as a Super Walmart on steroids. Guns were a tiny one or two page section in their massive three inch thick catalog. Besides the stock guns they would order any quality gun the officer desired, which was often the best and at a reduced price. Many of their thousands of items were intended for the colonial postings in remote parts of the empire. I have their 1939 catalog and there is nothing, absolutely nothing for man, woman, or child that wasn’t offered. A really interesting company.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
jc5 Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

I spent several days last month at the Army & Navy records in Glasgow, doing research for a book on the Lee-Speed sporting rifles. I can tell you that it wasn't just some shotguns that were supplied by Webley and/or WC Scott, but a majority of them. Maybe even most. I do not recall seeing the name Wilkes on anything, but I will check my notes.

What is the Army & Navy number on this gun in the original post? This would be on the trigger guard, not on the flats.

Last edited by jc5; 12/13/18 01:01 PM.

Researching Lee Speeds and commercial Lee rifles. Questions or data to share? Please send PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

7246 would be the gun in question

jc5 Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

And is there a number on the barrels?

Researching Lee Speeds and commercial Lee rifles. Questions or data to share? Please send PM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.