April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (David Williamson, buckstix, jake van dyke, Jimmy W, Mills, 2 invisible), 376 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,063
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Given the current exchange rate (1 US dollar = !.259 British Pounds) and the apparent fall off in what quality double guns are worth, is it now more affordably to buy and import guns from Holts and the other British auctions sites that sell doubles?

I'll presume that fees paid to the people who do the paperwork and shipping have not gone down.

I don't have a specific gun in mind, I'm just wondering if it was more feasible now then 5 or 10 years ago.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just did and found it considerably cheaper than purchasing the same gun domestically. The only downside was that it took nearly a year for it to get here. Overall, I would do it again.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Changes to EU export laws have indeed slowed the process down. Holt's is one of the few remaining in the UK trade with an open export license. Things are typically taking around 3-4 months for to get all paperwork in place. Dan's gun took longer than expected due to several hang ups with the new system in the UK. Fees have not gone down, nor has overhead. Prices are 550$, plus 1% of the value for insurance, duty and then shipping from my shop to you. Discount for volume imports.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the responses

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
Changes to EU export laws have indeed slowed the process down. Holt's is one of the few remaining in the UK trade with an open export license. Things are typically taking around 3-4 months for to get all paperwork in place. Dan's gun took longer than expected due to several hang ups with the new system in the UK. Fees have not gone down, nor has overhead. Prices are 550$, plus 1% of the value for insurance, duty and then shipping from my shop to you. Discount for volume imports.

Shouldn't you be selling your shotgun importing services in the For Sale section, and paying the customary fee for using this site to sell things?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I get why you posted Keith but he's really just answering the OP's question with specifics.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

SKB just did a gun for me. I highly recommend letting him or another dealer who knows the ins and out of importing guns into the US do all the heavy lifting. Also try to do your gun with a group. Cheaper and more efficient in the long run. But it is not cost effective to do on guns below a certain value. You cant pay $550 to bring in a gun which is worth a grand if you pay top much for it at auction. Buyers premium, the cost of getting Holts to ship it all adds up on top of your bid price.

About eight years ago I did import a gun myself. In theory its fairly straight forwards. It was an antique, clearly pre 1898, should have been the easy. It was until Custom wanted to change me full duty on it.

They kept wanting to charge me duty on it when it should have been duty free. Then it was a big ticket item and I did not want to pay a tax I should not have to pay. Anyways it took multiple trips to get it through Customs without paying any duty.

While my time off is free there are things Id rather do than deal with someone who decides to not accept facts if they conflict with their views. They wanted a letter from the maker stating date of manufacture. The fact this firm closed a hundred plus years earlier did not get me anywhere. I had to show multiple documents, from several different sources to confirm the DOM. In the end I got the gun but decided the hassle exceed the money saved.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
Originally Posted By: SKB

Shouldn't you be selling your shotgun importing services in the For Sale section, and paying the customary fee for using this site to sell things?

Didn't you know liberals get a free pass.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are few things in life that are predictable. However one thing we can all count on is that however straightforward a post may be, these two guys will screw it up.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Canvasback, to answer your question, Stevie went way beyond answering the OP's question with specifics when he included pricing for his own services. It would have been much different if he was someone who was passing on a link to an importer they had successfully used. But Stevie is profiting financially from his importing services. Truthfully, how long do you think I would get away with the same thing without a rash of complaints to Dave??? And how long do you think jOe would get away with it? Truthfully... knowing the hypocritical bullshit that masquerades as civility and decorum here.

And wouldn't you know... Liberal Birds of a Feather Flock Together!

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
There are few things in life that are predictable. However one thing we can all count on is that however straightforward a post may be, these two guys will screw it up.

rocky mtn bill very recently did much the same thing as SKB when he sold some Springfield actions in the Classic and Custom Rifle forum.

Billy avoiding the $10.00 fee for using this site to sell guns

I'm just wondering... where are all the Thread Police and Self Appointed Moderators who whine about rules, when their little friends violate the rules on a regular basis? I never cared much until I became a target of their hypocrisy.

Speaking of which, did you see nca225's recent NRA bashing thread that was disguised as a Memorial Thread for George H.W. Bush in the Silent Doubles forum?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.