March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Marc Ret, graybeardtmm3, Ian Forrester, Jeremy Pearce, 1 invisible), 841 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#530613 12/08/18 10:04 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This shot gun butt was made with about 3/16 inch concave bow but sanded straight for a recoil pad. How do I restore it to a uniform concave for a a curved hard rubbre plate? Draw filing or sanding might work but would be so easy to get the tool to rocking and make the center line high. Thanking you for any ideas how to do this restore with more precision.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You said it. Filing and sanding. Then you fine fit the plate with inletting black and scrapers.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am sure that you understand that there are a number of ways for you to accomplish the curve to the butt of a gun stock. The hand method using the correct tools requires a lot of time learning the skill though today the tools for the job are not of a reasonable cost also.
The non machine tool method is after drawing the profile each side of the blank a curved bottomed draw knife is used to do the initial rough shaping, cutting from the toe to the centre and the heel to the centre never cutting from the centre out. Or disaster will happen you will split the extreme outside wood along the grain. To produce the accurate curve and remove the draw knife marks a variable sole Compass Plane is used again from outside to centre. Bad news draw knives are not cheap to purchase and a Compass Plane is a mortgage for a good vintage one, and a little less for a modern version. I have used one but have never been able to justify the rather high cost to own one.
A drum sander that will fit in a DIY electric drill works well though the larger size drums and abrasive tubes for them are also not at all low in cost
So it is down to using a curved sole spoke shave and abrasive paper. I find sticking abrasive paper on large plastic bottles filled with sand works well for smoothing things off though can be heavy to use, when packed tight with sand though they keep their shape well. Whatever method you use always cut from outside to centre.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Mr. Dudley and Damascus for your reply.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a drum sander with dust collector that my talented father in law used for making decoys. I would sell it to anyone who would come to Gaithersburg, MD to inspect it. Includes a lot of paper and gosh knows what else that I just don't understand. Bill Murphy

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.