March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Stanton Hillis, SKB, Hammergun, 2 invisible), 333 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,979
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis,
Are you any relation to Elbert and Darryl?
Best Regards,
JBP

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Patton,the Smith Family of MO. are no relations of mine. We discussed that often and neither one of those boys would claim me! Said it had to do with my Yankee blood lines ( my family roots are in MO/AR/OK).

There were 15 members in that immediate family. Three were/are involved in the gunmaking industry that I knew of. The youngest sister is still checkering last I heard for Wenig's Custom Gunstocks. Joyce married Jimmy Cardwell who took over for Elbert as the Shop Manager when he retired. I have not talked to them in a while however. I do not know if Jimmy has retired yet.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the info. this isn't my first rodeo. I know it can be fixed cheaper.
BUT THIS IS NOT MY GUN.
I tried to convince him to fix it but he insists on having it restocked. so, no point belaboring the mending aspects.
I have explained all of the issues and his expectations. you all have been down that road; you have something and damn the expense.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the original stock can be repaired enough to use as a pattern, send it, the blank, and some $$$ to Gene Simillion for duplication. His price is higher than others, but absolutely phenomenal. Make all efforts to make the pattern stock shape and inletting perfect.

Last edited by gunmaker; 11/30/18 10:26 PM.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
Sidelock
Sidelock

Depending on what the break looks like, a butt transplant may also work. DES can do that, too.

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't Donnie at show me gunstocks duplicate the original stock and then finish and checker? That assumes he is still there of course.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

I spoke with Donnie several weeks ago about dupication. Send it on down, can do in about a week or so. No fitting or finishing, but a duplicate from my blank and original.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Redesertrifles.com I have used them to restock a couple of pump guns and they were in the price range you requested. About $500 for labor and finishing, (less checkering and wood). they have wood in different grades, or you can bring your own blank. Checkering from someone like Kathy Forster should run around $500 for a simple point pattern. I got an exhibition black walnut blank for $500 from Calico hardwoods. I'm pretty confident you could get the job done for about $1000 if you went easy on the wood and checkering. Hope this helps.

-Shoot Straight, IM
Sidelock
Sidelock

It was recently revealed here that some gunsmiths farm-out or sub-contract parts of their work. Or they utilize the services of lower wage employees. If you are on a tight budget, or restoring a lower grade gun that may not be worth the high price of a full blown restoration, it might be wise to eliminate the middle-man and try to hire some of those same outworkers yourself.

I do find it disturbing to learn that some of those guys who post nice photos of restored or refinished guns may be taking credit for parts of the work that they themselves didn't perform. I almost never see attribution for those sub-contractors or employees who do some of the less glamorous or less profitable gunsmithing tasks. If they gave proper credit or attribution, fine. Otherwise, it seems like something similar to plagiarism. And it comes at the expense of an unwary customer who thinks his high dollar gunsmith is doing all the work on his gun.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
It was recently revealed here that some gunsmiths farm-out or sub-contract parts of their work. Or they utilize the services of lower wage employees. If you are on a tight budget, or restoring a lower grade gun that may not be worth the high price of a full blown restoration, it might be wise to eliminate the middle-man and try to hire some of those same outworkers yourself.

I do find it disturbing to learn that some of those guys who post nice photos of restored or refinished guns may be taking credit for parts of the work that they themselves didn't perform. I almost never see attribution for those sub-contractors or employees who do some of the less glamorous or less profitable gunsmithing tasks. If they gave proper credit or attribution, fine. Otherwise, it seems like something similar to plagiarism. And it comes at the expense of an unwary customer who thinks his high dollar gunsmith is doing all the work on his gun.

This is news to you Keith?? What kind of babe in the woods are you? LOL I could care less who specifically does the work as long as it's to the standard that the person I contracted with agreed to. What gets repeated here so often.....buy the gun, not the name. Good advice.

You know Keith, in your zeal to try to nail some of the people you think shouldn't be on this forum, you occasionally say dopey things. Like this stuff. So, without swearing to be as vigilant as you are, I may on occasion draw the dopey stuff to your attention. I'm all for calling bullshit when it's due, but not at the cost of saying dopey things or getting bent out of shape about dopey stuff. Trying to call Steve out because he has employed someone...well, that's actually anti American if you think about it.

Last edited by canvasback; 12/20/18 07:22 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.