April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (fullandfuller, 1 invisible), 1,074 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
eeb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

We pray for your safety and a little rain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We do indeed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have been and will continue

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Many thanks for thinking of us. It started raining last night, which will help with the fires, and the air has improved dramatically. But of course, the rain also adds to the misery of all those who lost their homes and may cause landslides in the burnt areas. If the weather and fire patterns of the last few years continue, California will be a very different place two or three decades from now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I too hope things improve for California. I hope that after this passes people will stick to building where the land wants you to...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

My prayers are included as well, and hopes for a peaceful Thanksgiving.
Karl

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My hope, beyond the threat of minimal damage from mudslides, is that someday the Smokey Bear syndrome will be cured.
Many ecosystems, particularly prairie, savanna, chaparral and coniferous forests, have evolved with fire as an essential contributor to habitat vitality and renewal. Many plant species in fire-affected environments require fire to germinate, establish, or to reproduce. Wildfire suppression not only eliminates these species, but also the animals that depend upon them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: halk
My hope, beyond the threat of minimal damage from mudslides, is that someday the Smokey Bear syndrome will be cured.
Many ecosystems, particularly prairie, savanna, chaparral and coniferous forests, have evolved with fire as an essential contributor to habitat vitality and renewal. Many plant species in fire-affected environments require fire to germinate, establish, or to reproduce. Wildfire suppression not only eliminates these species, but also the animals that depend upon them.

Very pertinent post, halk. You can add the longleaf pine ecosystem to those that need fire to thrive, and for the hundreds of species that thrive in it.

Controlled burns aren't popular in places in California, but they are needed to keep the fuel from building up to catastrophic levels.

I grieve for the dead and deprived, and hope that wiser heads replace those who have suppressed controlled burns for so long.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes Stan I have helped support Tall Timbers for many years even though I've never seen a longleaf pine. It was the Komarek brothers there with TT who published their famous paper that plotted lightning strike frequencies across North America and found a near perfect match with grasslands including those originally under several important southern and western coniferous forest types. They happened to be friends of a wildlife refuge manager I knew and he was the one that fostered my interest in fire ecology. I try to burn as much of my grassland as possible and helped on many other burns on public and private land.

Sidelock
Sidelock

halk,
The damage from mudslides is not minimal, when it is your home and family caught in it and pushed over the cliff or into the river. There is a lot to be said about not building is areas subject to storms, fires, mud slides, earth quakes, or floods.
Mike

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.