March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (NZHunter, LGF, SKB), 243 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Age 60 - playing basketball in Romania smoothly with knowledge, jumping well.. problem with pulled muscles - average drive 280 yards
Age 65 - After Afghanistan. Right shoulder replaced. But doing personal rehab (5 mos) afterwards could take wallet out of left pocket and throw better than ever. Balance was excellent. Average drive 260
Age 70 - Africa - swimming a mile. No weights. excellent balance. 45 min 5xweek on alternatively elyptical, treadmill and erg/rowing machine. (all cardio - low impact - do not jog!!) Average drive 240
Age 75 - Africa - Arthritis in left shoulder - can't swim the crawl anymore - no weights. But still on the machines and doing a lot or walking with pack. Balance getting sketchy. Average drive 230
Age 77 - Today...on the way back to Africa. Walking 3 miles a day. No weights . Average drive 225. Like to support myself when getting dressed (re balance and neuropathy). Still can jump with surprising spring in the ankles...working at it.

Aging is not for the faint of heart. But if I couldn't shoot, jump, fight and run..(the old Special Forces Vietnam era "Maryann Barnes" song mentioned a variant - "Shoot, jump, fight, f**q")...I wouldn't be headed back to the Sahara.

http://itsligorfc.wikifoundry.com/page/Mary+Ann+Barnes
(And Note the internet is in error: this is exclusive...Mary Ann Barnes was never identified as "fat." That verse should be:
-- "She's a great big son of a Byatch,
-- twice as big as me,
-- Got hair on her @$$
-- like the branches on a tree

-- She can shoot, jump, fight, f**q
-- Fly a plane and drive a truck
-- She's the kind of girl who's goin to marry me
-- She's Special Forces Ranger Airborne Infantry
-- And Mike Force toooooo

But I think the key as Stan says is always cardio...get the pulse ups to 70% and keep it there for 30 minutes. (For your 100% take 220 and subtract your age...so at 77 my 100% should be 143 - 80% is 115., 70% is 101 - In walking at a fast pace I'm usually at 105...I regularly hit 140 on the machines when I jack up the incline....not sure that's good...).

And Stan..knees go..try the low impact cardio - especially the erg/rowing machine. (you know water...and I grew up rowing flat bottom punts in north Florida black-water lakes....never heard of the competition stuff..but you'd love it).

And stay the hell way from medicine. I got persuaded to take a Statin 6 years ago for high cholesterol (hereditary) and it gave me gout!!! Don't take squat other than aspirin unless you're force too.

Finally personal discipline is everything...you have to do this stuff... I was doing it 6 days a week, with one rest...then 3 x 3.. I'm down to 2 days on 1 day' off...not training for the olympics so be sensitive to how your body feels.

Last edited by Argo44; 05/19/21 09:27 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Argo is right on the money. Stay the hell away from the meds unless you have no-other choice. Diet and exercise is the only way to age with even a small margin of grace. Start by walking your dog regularly (What? You don't have a dog....get one! Great motivator and a purpose to keep moving.) Walking should then lead to other physical activities, like sit ups and leg lifts to tighten up your core muscles. Slow and steady is the ticket. Free weights can be added in after that for upper body strength. You might see a medico for blood work and recommendations on supplements and anti-inflammatories to help keep you moving. I do lutein for eyesight and Relief Factor (TM) for the inflammation. Testosterone replacement is useful as well, if done prudently. And...even if you can afford it, don't outsource your life. Mow your own grass, shop for your own food, cook your own meals (learn how!), and wash your own vehicle. Get outdoors every chance! Pick berries and make jam, plant a few flowers, fish in the warm months, and hunt in the cooler ones! Fill your life with people (family, church, car clubs, gun clubs, etc.) Watch the booze...a little is fun, a lot is usually trouble. Be proactive medically, don't let things drag along. If you can afford it, fix it! Make plans and execute them, don't sit around and feel sorry for yourself. Have a mission! And finally....be fun to be around, don't [censored] and criticize how things appear to be going in the world. You're an old fart now and nobody gives a shit about what you think.

There....I feel better already.

BTW: I'd like to hear your version of "Mary Ann Barnes" be sung by a bunch of hardasses....

Last edited by Lloyd3; 05/16/21 03:28 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I can't help but note how the life expectancy has increased during my lifetime. Modern medicine along with it's range of pharmaceuticals must have been some advantage over my granddaddy's time even though there seemed to be more fit old men back then...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am 80 and have slowed down a bit but still hunting some. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm counting on that. Fix your damn teeth so your heart doesn't crap out. If a hip wears out or knee goes bad...replace it and keep moving. Stem cell repairs are commonplace now (I did my lower back 5 years ago now, it was life-altering). Eyesight sucks?, go get the lazer or the "crystal" lens replacement, can't hear? Go see the folks at Costco for their cheap but effective units you can tune from your smartphone. We all know about the significant downsides of tobacco (smoking and otherwise) and carrying excessive weight. There is no mystery about eating real food (and not the processed stuff). There are clearly some things you can't do a work-around on just yet, but... it's pretty remarkable when you consider what the options are that you now have if you do your home work. Even 20-years ago they mostly weren't around, but they are now. Get on with it.

Remember....living well is the best revenge!

Last edited by Lloyd3; 05/16/21 05:36 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

B&B

Bourbon and Burley.

Cornell & Diehl Dark (Kentucky) Burley in a cob, Jim Beam, up.

Can feel my blood pressure dropping.

Thank God for Kentucky.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Profound observations from a young Lowell George

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Such a great band. Thanks for reminding me of them Steve. Lowell went way too soon.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

For all of us who want to continue our outdoor pursuits well into our 70s, 80s and 90s, I highly recommend the "Younger Next Year" series of books by Chris Crowley. He's 87 and is still doing downhill skiing, rowing, long distance bicycling, etc. As some of you have already mentioned, functioning well into your older years is largely about diet and exercise. I found this series of books to be really entertaining and informative.

Nothing the government gives you is free.
Sidelock
Sidelock

These are the good old days. Don’t ever forget that.

The boy and I just completed 90 miles around Lake Pepin on elderly, if not antique bicycles (24” Raleigh rod braked Roadsters) so, I guess my fitness level is into the pink, if not exceeding it. Stiff muscles today, that hill between Bay City and Maiden Rock on Wisconsin 35 gets a little steeper every year, I think. I’m no longer waiting on the boy, he flew up that hill, flew through the whole course on a 1969 DL1 with 8” cranks and 28” wheels. I’m with the other old guys, floating into the rest stops for a break. I had a few Red Stripes on the ride, both days. 7 hours with no beer would be a dull ride. Yea, I drank water, too.

I know a few people in their 50s-60s that prattle on about how they want to live to be 100. Funny thing, I’ve never met someone in their 90s who wants to do that.

Careful what you wish for. Use the active years, wisely.

Best,
Ted

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.