April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, 1 invisible), 384 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#528055 11/06/18 06:36 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There are those of us who grew up in and appreciate the South, and the Southern ways of life and hunting. And, for all those who would like to know what it is like there are wonderful writings about it all that have been handed down from the precious Carolina low country to the rest of the world. Those are the writings of Archibald Rutledge, first poet-laureate of South Carolina. He wrote many stories about life and hunting in his part of the world, and I have enjoyed them for almost as many years.

For those of you who subscribe to, or purchase on a newsstand, the magazine Sporting Classics, there is a reprint of an article about a grand hunt that Rutledge and his companion made many, many years ago for a great buck that lived on an island near the coast of SC. Please do not overlook the reading of "The Kings of Curlew Island". It is long, as short stories go, but is a perfect example of Rutledge's masterful prose and unpredictable outcomes.

In honor of a great son of the South, SRH

Last edited by Stan; 11/06/18 06:38 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

He is an excellent writer, I have several of his volumes!

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Archibald Rutledge spent part of his life teaching at a prep school in Pennsylvania. In addition to his South Carolina adventures, Rutledge chronicled his hunts in the Keystone State. He is a national treasure. His ancestral plantation, Hampton, is a state park in South Carolina. I have made the pilgrimage and it is well worth the journey.

J.K.B. von Falkenhorst

Sidelock
Sidelock

von, did not know rutledge had a pa grouse hunting connection...

thank you for that tip...

would you be so kind, as to provide references to his work that includes pa hunting lore?

meantime, will see what google reveals...

Last edited by ed good; 11/07/18 05:15 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed, there are chapters in several of his books about hunting in PA, I read one last night and will go look it up again. I'm not sure if there is a compiled grouse hunting book, I know there is a deer hunting and a Turkey hunting one.

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

clay, google supports your conclusion...

but google did reveal two non hunting themed books that rutledge wrote that interested me...they are:

"my colonel and his lady" and "god's children"...

looking forward to reading them both...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't have those volumes, yet. I have half a dozen others, and will be buying those at some point soon as well. I think he mostly small game hunted in PA, and some turkey. Not sure if wrote about whitetail hunting there or not

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is an interesting article, rather a book review, written by Mills Morrison on Rutledge's "America's Greatest Game Bird" (edited by Jim Casada) in the Winter Issue of Parker Pages.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For those of us who have "almost" no unfilled book space, I recommend "Hunting & Home in the Southern Heartland - the Best of Archibald Rutledge", by "Edited by Jim Casada".
My penned in "eBay 2013" on my postal address sticker on the inside front hard cover reminds me where and when I got that particular book.
Don't know why, but I've adopted the habit of annotating the title page of many of my books with the "born & died" info about the author. In this book of selected Rutledge yarns, I've penned in -
"BORN - 23 Oct 1883, "Summer Place", McClellanville, South Carolina.
DIED - 15 Sept 1973, "Summer Place, McClellanville, South Carolina"
I suspect there are not many folks who were born and then died a lifetime later in the same "place".
There's a very good reason the man's writings are so admired.
I'm personally much more familiar with the region north of Spartanburg, but AR's writings made me feel right comfortable down in his "lowlands".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.