April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,062 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#527370 10/31/18 10:04 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Recently you are seeing more auction companies going into the gun auction business too. The problem is their description are very weak or not at all. They do not know how to judge condition of a firearm. They say it looks nice or is in good condition. I really believe they just do not know. Their extensive experience is in real estate auctions, old tractors and ringer washing machines. I have been down the road twice now and now maybe smart enought not to go down that road again. If I need an old sewing machine, milking machine or some used tires, I will watch their auctions

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

John,
I have to firmly disagree... You are a very knowledgeable individual. What you choose to buy is of course your business and in your case literally your business, but I have NO problem assuming the risk of making an educated decision based upon available facts and images. 50% very often tells 95% of the story. But hey, I have been fortunate and have studied hard, while most are obvious and moderate buys, the ones that were risks, have been far more successes than issues for me. It may all have something to do with your intentions, purpose or end goals, but if I have lost a few hundreds dollars here and there I have learned a thing or two from it and more than made up for it other times and this comes from a very frugal individual. Now there is a HUGE difference between general "underlisting" as you mention and DECEPTIVE listing. For that I have no patience. It is wild how a few guns I have sold to some dealers were magically reunited with original buttplates after they somehow managed to be lucky enough to find the original sharper checkering laying around too!
(TO BE EXPRESSIVELY CLEAR, as you are a dealer, I am making no judgement of your product, I have bought a misc parts from you on this site and have been thrilled everytime!)

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is nothing new, and nothing to get excited about. Auctioneers are just as likely to overrate the condition of a tractor or a wringer washing machine in order to get bidders to place the highest possible bid. And gun sellers, whether in auctions, gun shops, or gun shows, have always had a tendency to see more condition, rarity, etc. than is actually there.

Most of the time, if we get taken, we have to blame ourselves as well. It's all too easy to simply trust a brief description and a few small photos, and let our emotions rule our decision to bid or buy. This rush to pay too much is why the vast majority of guys go into every gun purchase thinking they will lose money if they ever sell.

I try to tell myself that I have enough guns that I don't really need anything. Paying retail is therefore not an option for me. But last year, I was excitedly watching an online auction for a Nichols and Lefever C grade gun that appeared to be in very nice condition. They don't show up often, and I looked at it every day for a week. There were a ton of pictures and a general description. As the auction was closing, I got into the bidding, and the price kept climbing higher than I hoped. It got down to me and one other guy, and I reluctantly went higher and higher. Then, while hoping he would drop out, I scrolled through the photos and noticed that one hammer had different engraving and was an obvious replacement. It was right there for me to see all along if I hadn't been blinded by my emotions. I knew my chances of ever finding a correct original was near impossible. I felt like a foolish rookie, and hoped the other guy would pop another bid. Fortunately, he did.

I noticed that he re-listed the gun several months later with a starting bid $700.00 lower than what he paid. I don't know if he ever got that price. This is what happens if we don't pay attention, ask the right questions, and know the return policy.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Auction descriptions are best taken with a large grain of salt. Photos can fail to disclose as much as they show depending on how skillfully they are done. There is no substitute for in person inspection. When a description had a major mistake it is not unreasonable to ask for an adjustment. Few however are willing to do it. Its all volume to them. Sell a million, take their 15-20% and move into the next auction. Returns and adjustments would come off the bottom line which too few take the Longview these days that their reputation is as important as advertising.

So when someone post a history of poor or inaccurate description along with an policy of unwillingness to fix their mistakes I think its fair to warn others about it. You dont have to avoid them but you have been given fair warning about specific things to be on guard against.

I bought a double off GunBroker which was listed as a 20 which was a 16. Seller was unwilling to make any adjustment or take it back. Even though his listing gave a three day return. Major seller with a thousand positive feedback, 100%. After several attempts to get satisfaction I posted a negative feedback. He was pissed. So GunBroker removed the feedback. Hes back to 100%. I crossed that seller off my list to deal with. GunBroker did nothing for me but I understand that, dont like it but do understand it. . He makes them money, I only spend it.

Last edited by KY Jon; 11/01/18 02:45 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Im done with auctions. Ive won a few, and havent had any hard lessons. Like Keith, Im being dishonest if I try to persuade myself I need another gun. But, Id just as soon handle, shoulder, disassemble, and examine a gun in person, henceforth.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Auction descriptions are best taken with a large grain of salt. Photos can fail to disclose as much as they show depending on how skillfully they are done. There is no substitute for in person inspection. When a description had a major mistake it is not unreasonable to ask for an adjustment. Few however are willing to do it. Its all volume to them. Sell a million, take their 15-20% and move into the next auction. Returns and adjustments would come off the bottom line which too few take the Longview these days that their reputation is as important as advertising.

So when someone post a history of poor or inaccurate description along with an policy of unwillingness to fix their mistakes I think its fair to warn others about it. You dont have to avoid them but you have been given fair warning about specific things to be on guard against.

I bought a double off GunBroker which was listed as a 20 which was a 16. Seller was unwilling to make any adjustment or take it back. Even though his listing gave a three day return. Major seller with a thousand positive feedback, 100%. After several attempts to get satisfaction I posted a negative feedback. He was pissed. So GunBroker removed the feedback. Hes back to 100%. I crossed that seller off my list to deal with. GunBroker did nothing for me but I understand that, dont like it but do understand it. . He makes them money, I only spend it.

KY Jon: It would be good to know the name of the GB seller who refused to make good on a 20 bore sale that turned out to be 16 bore. Why are you being circumspect about who this seller is?

Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Over the years I have had the 20 that turned out to be a 16 happen 4 times. Each time I believe it was an honest mistake and adjustments or refunds were offered. One was from a major auction house. This gun was advertised as a 30in 20ga with 3in chambers and cyl chokes which is what it measures if you assume its a 20 and check it with a galazan gauge. The gun was part of a lot. I could return the entire lot or take a small adjustment. The adjustment was not enough but I took it because their was enough upside in the balance of the lot. I have seen that same thing with the same house 2 more times. One of the many reasons I rarely bid on auctions without personal inspecting the guns.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What I am saying is if your dealing with an auction company that has been doing guns for a long time, fewer problems.

Its when these other companies decide to branch out from their normal auction items. Just starting to get into something that they have no experience in. That is when your really can get into some problems.

John

Last edited by arrieta2; 11/02/18 09:22 AM.

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Arrieta2;

I am glad that you restated your intention of your original post as I read it as per your clarification. I am still trying to determine what Mark21 read into what you originally stated as his comment seems to me like he is commenting on an entirely different writing that yours.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.