April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (David Williamson, Argo44, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 409 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,796
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#527036 10/27/18 01:26 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Who is doing good black and white Damascus finishing? A couple of the good black and white finishers are no longer doing it. I don't know who is out there now.

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rich, there is a fellow advertising in the latest DGJ. A name I have never heard of , but I don't get around much. I guess that he's serious, since he has a nice ad in the upper left of one page, as I recall.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I’d recommend you visit with the folks at Bachelder Master Gunworks.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had Bachelders refinish several Damascus barrels for me in black & white. I'm very pleased with every one of them and normally would recommend Bachelders in a heartbeat.

I do have to throw in a caveat though. Brad Bachelder passed away earlier this year. I believe his son Parker has taken the reins for running the gunsmithing business. Parker has been involved with doing the Black & White finishing when Brad was running the show so his work should live up to Bachelders well earned reputation. I personally haven't seen any of the work out of Bachelders since Brad's death, but have been thinking of sending them a set of barrels as a test to see if they are still hitting the high bar set by Brad.

If it were me. I would call Bachelders and ask to talk to Parker, then make my decision to send him my barrels based on my feelings from the conversation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bachaelders did a H&H in black and white and its BEAUTIFUL!

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had Aaron Zimmerman do one set for me a couple years ago and the work was good. But that is all I have had to go on. It is a little bit of a part time endeavor for him and leadtimes were out there.

I only contracted to Bachelders one time for a set of barrels, about 3 years ago and the experience was less than favorable. Repeated promeses of “2 weeks” turned into a year and the results were sub par. And the lack of professional courtesy shown me in the process was inexcusable. And I was seeing a lot of issues with dark spots on other barrel sets finished by them.
Now, i do have to say that the few examples I have seen come out of there recently look very good. However my personal experience and a LOT of stuff i have seen really soured me on that particular shop.

Since the retiring of Dale Edmunds, I have found myself not really being able to have a reliable source for damascus finishing.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to everyone who responded. Without Dale Edmunds and Craig Smith and with the Bachelors getting mixed reviews, there does not seem to be a lot of choice in this area. Maybe Aaron Zimmerman. I appreciate all the thoughtful comments.

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve Bertrum was going to get the process going a few years ago. You may want to check with him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bachelders is certainly not fast, it took about 4 months (right about what they told me up front though). I've handled 4 of their refinished guns, all of which were absolutely top notch. I always spoke with Parker when I called or went in, he was always very professional and helpful. I'm intending to send them another set in the spring. I'm sorry Mr. Dudly had issues with them, I've got nothing but good things to say about them!

NRA Patron Life Member
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I only offer Brown and white Damascus finish.

I have had two guns through the shop that were restored by Bachelder, both guns had brittle portions of the action after rehardening. One broke though the rear tang hole, the other the trigger plate chipped a piece off. Way too hard and I am one who wants a hard skin on an action. The black and white Damascus finish on the gun they did was very uneven. To be fair, I could not achieve an even finish with the black and white process either so I do not offer it.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.