March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (canvasback, Argo44, Hammergun, fallschirmjaeger, 2 invisible), 796 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#525515 10/09/18 02:16 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have always reloaded with AA or Claybuster wads, and Never gave it much mind. When reading about a UK specific guns with recommended use of lead only with fiber wad. I asked myself why only fiber, and does anyone in the U.K. Shot plastic wads? I guess I am a little clueless of why the specific difference.

Maybe, the game keepers don,t want plastic wads laying all over the place. is there that big of a difference on how choke acts with plastic verses fiber.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Plastic wads do pattern tighter. Many places just dont want plastic anything left behind. Seems minor to us but they last a long time and enough of them will be seen as trash in the end. Ive picked up countless old plastics empties, over the years but almost no paper shells. Makes sense to only use quickly broken down wads if possible. Ive tried the biodegradable wads but finding them was a bit of a bother. And I always wondered how fast do they break down and under what conditions? Sunlight over several years might technically be biodegradable but in truth, under those limitations, it means they will clutter things up for years. They do if they last like biodegradable targets last.

Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/fibre-vs-plastic-wads.808267/#post-7583543

Dr. A.C. Jones
http://www.shotgun-insight.com/fibreVsPlasticSporterShells.html
"the patterns over the 9-shell average are almost identical. The distribution of pellets in the 10", 10-20" and 20-30" areas are almost identical. Similarly the probability if hitting the small area of an edge on clay is almost identical."
"What this means is that there is no evidence of the fibre wad shells having inferior patterns. This includes any effects of the wad affecting the centre of the pattern or shot deformation leading to more fliers."

re: pressures. Fiber wad shells tend to be slightly lower
http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=222102&page=all

http://www.firearmservice.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page19.html
GameBore 2 1/2" 12ga Pure Gold plastic hull with fiber wad 1oz. @ 1295 fps - 7832 psi
Gamebore 2 1/2" 12ga Traditional Paper hull with fiber wad 1oz. @ 1295 fps - 6526 psi

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that they will be banned in the U.K. within a few years. Denmark are set to phase them out. Plastic pollution is becoming a real worldwide problem and everyone needs to do their bit. Here we have always had fibre wads available and they are the most popular type. One clay shooting club I go to have never allowed plastic wads in all its time and I have been going there since the early 70's. A lot of U.K. clay grounds are fibre wad only. I only use plastic wads at one ground I go to where they land in a specific area in a quarry type ground and the ground is regularly skimmed to retrieve shot for scrap and the wads are re-cycled. Most game shooters use fibre as far as I know. The main problem is in steel shot ammunition but Gamebore for one are experimenting with a fibre cup wad for steel. No right minded person would leave plastic cartridge cases lying about whether they re-load or not but not everyone thinks about the plastic ejecta that seems to disappear. Paper case cartridges are available from most U.K. dealers but are slightly more expensive. No, it's fibre wads for me and always has been for general sporting use. It is just easier and quicker for manufacturers to load ammo by machine with plastic wads. Lagopus..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Legopus you tend to think in O/U or SxS terms. 90+% of hunters in the US use semi autos or older guys use pumps. Hull ejection into weeds become quickly lost only to show up next year after weathering the elements. So its not all slob behavior by most but Im sure a little of it is. Then sometimes hulls are left for a reason.

Years ago we use to drop paper hulls on the ground when we found zero birds while quail hunting. Even back then, prime locations sometimes had no birds. The hulls were gone in a year. I have heard several others say that they found many of them but never found our secret coveys. Asked a couple if they tried several times and they had. Figured their wasted efforts meant they werent hunting real coveys.

Had one fellow admit he hunted my land often in spite of not having permission and it being posted. Funny thing was he had no clue he was talking to the owner. So I did mention several of the hull dump locations as possible better places to try. Told him the fellow who owned the land he hunted was known to either call the game wardens or just let the air out of a truck tires as a warning to not come back. Not a nice fellow sometimes. That kind of slob hunter, who hunts where he knows hes not welcomed, gets zero breaks with me. Had a couple duck hunters using my blind back in MD last year. Game warden checked them knowing they had no permission. Things went bad for them after that. Had lead shot and a couple funny cigarettes they had been smoking. Dont know what that cost them but it was going to be a lot Im told. Cant fix stupid.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon

Years ago we use to drop paper hulls on the ground when we found zero birds while quail hunting. Even back then, prime locations sometimes had no birds. The hulls were gone in a year. I have heard several others say that they found many of them but never found our secret coveys. Asked a couple if they tried several times and they had. Figured their wasted efforts meant they werent hunting real coveys.

Had one fellow admit he hunted my land often in spite of not having permission and it being posted. Funny thing was he had no clue he was talking to the owner. So I did mention several of the hull dump locations as possible better places to try. Told him the fellow who owned the land he hunted was known to either call the game wardens or just let the air out of a truck tires as a warning to not come back. Not a nice fellow sometimes. That kind of slob hunter, who hunts where he knows hes not welcomed, gets zero breaks with me. Had a couple duck hunters using my blind back in MD last year. Game warden checked them knowing they had no permission. Things went bad for them after that. Had lead shot and a couple funny cigarettes they had been smoking. Dont know what that cost them but it was going to be a lot Im told. Cant fix stupid.

"Hulls dumps" and "secret coveys of quail"...I can officially say I've heard it all now.

The bird dogs I hunted over would've made quick work of your "secret coveys".

Your stOry kinda reminds me of a Mexican my buddy saw running water over a car tire looking for air leaks.

Only one small problem the tire wasn't on a rim.

You think he was looking for a "secret" air leak ?

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Cant fix stupid.

Now there's something "secret" we can get eYe to eYe on....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm a landowner, and we shoot my land a lot for doves. I've never been a stickler about guests picking up every hull. Most try to, but when they are left behind inadvertently, I have found that they deteriorate much faster than most think they would. In a couple years of lying in the sun they plastic begins to fade in color and become very brittle, a sure sign of ultraviolet breakdown of the plastic.

I have occasionally found the brass case head of hulls my Grandaddy shot while hunting this land. They are precious to me, and I pause and think that he may have shot into a covey right where I'm standing many years ago. Those were, of course, paper hulls.

I'm not a slob, and I care for my land and try to be a good steward of it for my time here, but I don't get all jacked up over a few hulls or wads that eventually break down due to UV anyway.

JMO, YMMV.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

IME, most Brit guns have barrels and chokes regulated for fiber wad loads. I have loaded fiber (and plastic) for some years and do not notice much difference in their ability to kill birds.

I have loaded a lot of fodder with fiber wads and 'Kwik cert" shot wrappers and like them as well. I am currently loading some fiber wad 2-1/2" roll crimped 12 ga. loads for my Atkin and looking forward to seeing how they perform.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, you might be as secretive about your favorite turkey spots as we were about their favorite quail spot. That is when we still had quail. I knew fellows who would park with their trucks out of sight so others did not see where they hunted. Fellows tried to protect their go to spots.

The hull dumps were a disinformation just like a fisherman who tells someone he caught all these fish one creek over from where he did. Often you knew who was trying to poach your favorite spots. And quail hunters will tell you that just because your dog does not find quail here today does not mean they are not around. Just smarter than your dog or you. I've seen quail fly a hundred yards out of the wood into a feeding area and then fly directly back. A dog has almost no chance of ever finding that covey. But if they are feeding, when you come along, you can locate them and shoot them. That's just dumb luck and timing. The hull dumps just give people an idea that quail have been here before and might come back so best to check them.

I made the mistake of taking a fellow hunting who I later found out had a nasty habit of returning later, back to the same spots we had hunted. Blood sucking poacher is what I call that fellow. He made the mistake of returning to a farm I did not own but did have permission to hunt. The lady who owned the farm found his truck and cut all four valve stems out of his tires. She often did this to trespassers, even did this once to the Game Warden not in a state vechile. She was a tough old lady who took nothing from anybody. Hard as nails. I doubt he ever hunted on her land again.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

One reason fibre only wads on some estate shoots in the UK is that plastic wads play hell in ungulates' digestive tracts. The property on these estates often have sheep grazing when there are no shoots. At least that's what I've read... Gil

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.