May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (welder, AGS, Wild Skies, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 715 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,501
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#525347 10/07/18 02:11 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Father in law gave me a Perkins SxS percussion yesterday.
Rib says "Perkins London Laminated Steel". Both side plates have "Perkins" engraved on them. Loading rod is with gun.

I have read DGJ for years, but have always admired from a distance. Seyfried was author who drew me to follow initially. Seyfried and Bell have bent my mind towards these things. Never dipped my toe into the waters of antique arms. Have loved learning about the stories and function of various arms from across history. The passion of the authors have pulled me into the rabbit hole. Even if it's as a bench warmer only.

I do have experience with modern arms and ammo. Reloaded for shotguns, rifles, and handgun cartridges for 40 years. So concept wise, I have a reasonable foundation. But never a muzzle loading shotgun. Only played with a blackpowder revolver once- with Grandpa back in the 70s.

Here's the short version:
1-Right hammer does not fall when trigger is pulled. Left hammer works.
2-Pin missing from right side plate (may be related to trigger issue?).

Need gunsmith who can take a look at it, and discuss if it is safe to fire. If it is safe to fire, the trigger issue will be fixed. She will go pheasant hunting. I think my father in law would like this.

Worst case scenario, it will get 90 years of gunk cleaned off it (Not interested in refinishing or restoration), and it becomes a wall hanger in the office. Father in law will like this too.

I'm in NW Oregon. Hoping someone here can recommend a local smith who can look at it, and start from there.

Thanks for the time

Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome to the forum, and to an amazing (expensive) hobby! I'm sorry but I don't know of any gunsmiths up that way

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

It doesn't necessarily have to become a terribly expensive hobby. Certainly not as bad as buying a boat or doing a car restoration.

The first thing to resolve is whether the barrels are sound and safe to shoot. This includes an evaluation of internal and external pitting, dents, loose ribs, etc., along with barrel wall thickness measurements. That is the one determining factor as to whether this gun should be repaired and fired, or simply cleaned up and hung on the wall.

Someone here should be able to steer you towards an Oregon area muzzleloader gunsmith who can pull the locks without doing damage, and tell you at a reasonable cost what the problem is, and how much it should cost to repair it. Handing someone you don't know a gun and a blank check can get you in trouble. Once the gun is functional, the cost of black powder, wads, shot, and percussion caps isn't much more than modern ammunition, and certainly less than most of the non-lead stuff.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bruce Farman is not "local" to you, but in the area at large. He has done a fair bit of work for me, and is fair and fast. He is a member of the ACGG. Here is his info:
www.acgg.org/index.php/my-profile/userprofile/Bfarman.html

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

good post keith...looking forward to hearing more from you...and certainly no more from that other creature that also resides in your skull...

Last edited by ed good; 10/07/18 07:11 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Flatfish
Welcome to the site and good luck with your new treasure smile
Mike

p.s. is flatfish from the lure or the fish?
I love the x4ss flatfish and still wish they were made!!!

Last edited by skeettx; 10/07/18 07:29 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
good post keith...looking forward to hearing more from you...and certainly no more from that other creature that also resides in your skull...

Ahhh, you must be talking about the creature who despises anti-gun trolls... like you. The new member might as well learn about your kind sooner rather than later:

Anti-Gun Posts By Ed Good

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

re keet: wada chump...

Last edited by ed good; 10/09/18 07:54 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.