March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 888 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe - ha,, not Salem but perhaps some of the old farmers and their help around Williamsburg had relatives from up that way! It does sound like a bunch of hooey and probaly is but just an old family story that was stuck on me b/c I was the one who was always bringing some critter home to keep as a pet or cook.. And, after sleeping on it, I'm pretty sure it was not the farmer who held this superstition but an old black man of his employ that I would hang around when my dad was doing buisness with the farmer...

Stan - You gotta do what you gotta do in certain situations and in no way did I mean to come off as judgemental.. I follow land-owners rules to a T when I'm a guest too.. Had not heard that one about 'shackling' the gun but good to know! In that same year, I caught a king snake and thought it was the coolest looking snake around and was able to keep in the school classroom in a fish tank for a few weeks.. Learned later that they like to eat other snakes.. I've had BBQ'd rattler a time or two over the years as well and recall it being palatable.. Best of luck with the harvest this year! - jmc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not sure exactly what the term Shackle a Gun means, but I have an old H&A 16 gauge single which has killed a couple of snakes & remained unharmed. One was a rattler & the other a watersnake, not a cottonmouth. I killed it because he made me mad. Don't recall just how old I was but was dangling worms or grasshoppers or something from the door of an old Grist Mill which stood on our property not far from the house. Had caught a little bluegill & as I was pulling it up this snake slid out from under the building & stretched up trying to get my fish off the line. Pulled the fish on up out of reach & went to the house & got Dad's old 16. Went back out there & let the little'gill back down to the water & splashed it around a bit & here came that snake again. Pulled the fish up just out of reach & that old snake kept stretching up trying to get it with his mouth wide open so I put the charge right down into that gaping mouth from about 6-8 feet.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not much for rattle snakes or other poisonous snakes and I certainly won't knowingly allow them on land that I own if I can help it.

That said having grown up on a farm in Virginia I agree with jOe about black snakes. They can be a farmers friend.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We had a basic rule on the farm while growing up. Any poisonous snake within 50 feet of the House was to be destroyed. Any snake in the barns, sheds or outside was to be left alone if at all possible. Snakes got a place on a farm as long as they dont scare people half to death, mostly females and people who cant tell one type from another. Did have a rattler spend a bit of time in a combine. When going over all those belts and greasing what seemed like a hundred places getting it ready for wheat it poked its head out. I think it was mostly curious. Unfortunately Mr Amos, our hired hand almost touched him. After a Sweet Jesus he took off like a cat with a tail on fire. Covered a hundred yards faster the any Olympic record holder. Man refused to go near that combine until that snake was removed. It was. Easy way to do that was start the combine up. It came out quickly. Did not seemed to be injured and left the shed. Mr. Amos never went near that combine after that without looking it over real carefully.

I still have that kill them if up to the house but leave them alone otherwise. And I try to show people a black snake is to be left alone even around the house. They will move on if left alone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

JMC, Just make sure the King Snake is really a King Snake. (I don't know if you have Coral Snakes in Texas; we had a lot of them in Florida and it was easy to confuse the two.) (when I was 14, I killed one on the golf course with a 7 iron...couldn't hit my shot he was so close).

Last edited by Argo44; 10/04/18 11:28 AM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

In my opinion, here's the best place for a rattler--

"It's a good day for something"
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tunes, you have the same problem with picking up rocks and bringing them home that I do...Geo

" Sir, I'm sorry but your bag is overweight. Give me just a minute Ma'am, I'll take a coupla rocks out"

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 10/04/18 01:21 PM. Reason: added final sentence
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just remember this rhyme, red and yellow kill a fellow, red and black venom lack.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reminds me of the time dove hunting on the edge of a stubble field, knocked a dove down and walker over to pick him up. Was standing looking for him when I looked down, I was standing on the head of a 6 foot snake! Makes your heart beat faster for sure, lucky it was a gopher snake and it was a bit shaky too.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Argo44, as I recall and this was about 40yrs ago, it was an eastern king snake that was blackish with white bands.. I do believe coral snakes could be found in that part of VA as well but never saw one.. 1st encounter with the many copperheads was in our sandbox which was covered with a piece of plywood when not in use to keep the rain out. Bad idea for any parents reading this! Perfect place for a snake to try to make a home...

Im totally on board with preserving black snakes around the farm and home,, but I would guess most dont know a black snake from and indigo snake or a black racer,, all of which I caught as a boy and a few other species.. there was no animal or insect I wouldnt catch and bring home except a spider.. still kind of scared of them.

Im a rock hound too fellas,, have some very special finds sitting on my windowsill right now including a bit of petrified wood. Nearly bring one home from each place I want to remember.. Fun thread and again, apologies for the hijack.. but heck, here is nearly an entire page with no one slinging insults or political slants... jmc

Last edited by jmc; 10/04/18 03:30 PM.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.