April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Krag 1902, Fudd, LeFusil, 1 invisible), 401 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,207
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#523375 09/18/18 08:12 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was Shooting my LC Smith today. Its a 12 ga. OO with ejectors and it doubled on me twice. I thought maybe I hit the second trigger by accident but it did it again after several more shots. I stopped shooting it at that point. Im glad I was only shooting 3/4 oz loads!!! Any idea what would cause it to double?

Sidelock
Sidelock

sop...have a smith smith inspect, clean, lub and test fire...

then follow his advise...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Was the gun taken apart recently? If so someone might have tightened the screw under the top lever one turn too tight as this will raise the trigger plate causing the sears to possibly rest on them. Another possible is that the side plate connecting screw is too tight. It should be flush on the right side lock plate.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Was it the left barrel that went both times?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Woody402
Any idea what would cause it to double?

If the same barrel was fired first both times when it doubled, and that is the sequence it always happens in, I would suspect the tumbler/sear relationship on the second barrel's lock. Oftimes the sear notch has become rounded where the sharp edge should be, and just needs stoning to recut the proper geometry. But, there are many other ills, concerning the geometry, that can be out of whack.

That said, the only way to know for sure is to take it to a good trigger man/smith. I have learned to do most of my trigger work myself, but the learning curve is tough and tedious.
If you don't have a burning desire to learn trigger work you would be much better off leaving it to a pro.

SRH

Addendum - Try removing the second barrel's lock and cleaning it thoroughly, then lightly lubing it. It is entirely possible that crud or debris have gotten into the sear/tumbler and are causing poor engagement.

Last edited by Stan; 09/18/18 09:26 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is David's image, and the superior edge of the sear is getting rounded as Stan said

I did have a 16g ejector Smith that would occasionally double if I wasn't careful to fully open the gun to seat the sear in the notch.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It was recently taken apart so I will Check the screws mentioned. Then Test fire it some. If it continues off the smith it will go. I have No desire or knowlage to be messing with the triggers. Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've learned the hard way, just load the one barrel. If the other hammer drops being on a snap cap or empty chamber is more comfortable than a double. I might not be smart, but I learn quick, :-)

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mark II
I've learned the hard way, just load the one barrel. If the other hammer drops being on a snap cap or empty chamber is more comfortable than a double. I might not be smart, but I learn quick, :-)

That was my plan. Im not recoil shy but wow it was a suprise.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry Andrews
jskve@aol.com
http://lcesmith.boardhost.com/index.php

single trigger master!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.