May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (skeettx, SKB, smlekid, Sandlapper, Bill Davis, Ian Forrester), 279 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,556
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stanton invented the rebounding lock. The simplicity of the invention, using the very same parts with some modification so as to retract the hammer, using the main spring for the job, plus the safety bent, for me ranks it as one of the great inventions in double gun design.

The locks were as per the original makers' design, I do not think that the lock maker had much to say in the design. What counted was the execution of the work and in that area I don't think there is any discernible difference in quality between the top lock makers in parts destined for best guns.

And though I have handled hundreds of english best I could never tell the difference till I looked inside for the lock maker's signature. Maybe others have a sharper sense and can tell.

ejsxs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I made several questions to the audience, after noticing that Steven D. Hughes in "Doubles Guns" 2007 stated that amongst side-by-sides, there was a 7 pin Holland & Holland Type Sidelock (pp.65-66), with a characteristic pin below the tumbler axle. Most gunmakers in Britain and the Continent copied it afterwards or produced derivatives of it. The other important type is the Beesley-Purdey-Atkin family of spring openers, with 7 pins but with a different arrangement over the plate, also recognizable at first sight. Now, from time to time other external pin arrangements have come to my attention, i.e. a S. Grant with 8 pins (a Twelve-Twenty), a Beesley and an Atkin with 6 pins, and so forth. (Aside, of course, of side-by-side guns of the 5 pin type).
On the other hand I have found another common 7 pin arrangement in most Hussey guns and also in some Lang and Grant shotguns, clearly different from the H&H pattern.
All of this without discussing the pin arrangements of Over and Under sidelocks.

HOLLAND & HOLLAND 7 pin pattern.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO5gv78XJiZD54O_MlEixK-bFERYM1n9ECLrr8H?hl=es

HUSSEY (also in some Lang and Grant) 7 pin pattern.
https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipOkBrkFts-hGMTQ6uyI_m_Bt048ycFSlaYHtFY4?hl=es

Note: Shotgunlover has a point, lock makers may had nothing to say in the design, it seems so far that gunmakers had favorite patterns. Only a statistical analysis or archival evidence could say the contrary, as to whether the Wolverhampton lock makers had their preferred types.

Sidelock
Sidelock

John Dickson , conversion with rebounding locks. It is marked Brazier Patent, but I don't know exactly what the patent was for, or by which Brazier the Patent was registered.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 09/04/18 07:30 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

John,
Stanton locks;interior faces are seen on plate 49 in the book Game Guns and rifles ,by Richard Akehurst, The illustration show examples of Stanton rebounding locks, patent 367 of 1867 and the improved version patent 3774 of 1869.
Similar illustration s are seen in Vol;1 page 202 of The British Shotgun Vol 1 by Baker and Crudgington.

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 09/06/18 12:15 PM.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting information on the three lock makers can be found on this post.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=522397#Post522397

ejsxs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Daryl for this info.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A bit OT but it is interesting to note that the main purpose of the 2nd (1869) Stanton rebounding patent is often missed. If you look at the picture below, in a conversion from non-rebounding you will see that the sear spring would have to be sacrificed or moved to use the bottom arm of the main string to power the rebounding effect. The use of the patented main spring gets round this problem. Quite why it was used on the bar-lock pictured in The British Shotgun is beyond me other than the possibility it was specified in order to have the 'best and latest'!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Its a shame that the true beauty of some guns is hidden in the locks. We never see the fine finish of a set of locks with their precise workings.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Its a shame that the true beauty of some guns is hidden in the locks. We never see the fine finish of a set of locks with their precise workings.

True, but I bet you are aware of the difference in Feel of a quality lock over a run of the mill one. I have no idea who made the locks on my W&C Scott pinfire but just one pull back for cocking immediately tells me it is a very high quality lock.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.