May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (ClapperZapper, bsteele, Birdog, Sandlapper, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 303 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,569
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ejsxs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Questions to the cognoscenti. These three lockmakers from Wolverhampton, are regarded being the top ones during the heyday of the English sport shotgun era. They worked for the trade. There is any record on whether any of them did excel or had a preference for a particular type of lockwork? Were their lockplates so different in their internal arragements (even those with the same amount of pins) that could be recognized from outside in the way the lock pins were distributed over the plate? Did they issued their own patents? The most important gunmakers, had they a noticiable preference for any one of these lockmakers or for a particular type of lockplate they made? There is any publication or author that did address this issue? EJSXS

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a comprehensive documentation in
the Internet on the Wolverhampton Gunlock Makers
http://www.wolverhampton-gunlocks.fslife.co.uk.
I recommend you to contact the author, he may have the answer to
your questions.
Cheers
Felix Neuberger

ejsxs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Felix,

thanks, I did stumble with that website before, but it leads me to a shopping website wholy unrelated with our subject matter. (Do am I strinking the wrong keys?). EJSXS

Sidelock
Sidelock

I checked and the page is no longer active.
I had access to it sept 3, 2015 and then it has been a
very detailed 18-page document.
The e-mail of the author given in this document
has been:
wolverhampton-glms (at) fsmail.net
or
cvcl (at) wolverhampton-gunlocks.fslife.co.uk.
Author has been C.V.Clark with last revision of document
april 2015.
Propose to contact him by e-mail, if this
does not work, then I recommend you to contact
the Holts folks, they should know where to continue.
Cheers
Felix

Last edited by felix; 09/01/18 01:32 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you can source a copy of 'Gun and Gun Part Makers of Staffordshire' by M A Newland that should have loads of information that you seek. If you are struggling I may be able to photocopy parts from the book and send them on. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Damn! I often used the site for reference. Now its gone.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
ejsxs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Felix, thanks for your advise, I will send a mail to that person.
Lagopus, I am aware that your book is difficult to find (Bookdepository, my usual book source in the UK, does not have it). Now, if you see that your copy has relevant information that may help me, please let my know and we could find a way to obtain another copy in the British secondhand market. Thanks in advance.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: felix
I checked and the page is no longer active.
I had access to it sept 3, 2015 and then it has been a
very detailed 18-page document.
The e-mail of the author given in this document
has been:
wolverhampton-glms (at) fsmail.net
or
cvcl (at) wolverhampton-gunlocks.fslife.co.uk.
Author has been C.V.Clark with last revision of document
april 2015.
Propose to contact him by e-mail, if this
does not work, then I recommend you to contact
the Holts folks, they should know where to continue.
Cheers
Felix

Any eMail/web addresses with "fslife", "fsnet", "fsmail", "freeserve" are likely to be out of use because the organisation that supplied them (FreeServe, an early UK based ISP) was taken over by Orange and those addresses were closed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

John,
One reference source for the subject lock makers is located in the book; English Gunmakers of the 18th and 19th century; By, De Witt Bailey and Douglas A. Nie.
Under the listings for the city of Wolverhampton there is recorded good information on the subject lock makers.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Roy Hebbes
John,
One reference source for the subject lock makers is located in the book; English Gunmakers of the 18th and 19th century; By, De Witt Bailey and Douglas A. Nie.
Under the listings for the city of Wolverhampton there is recorded good information on the subject lock makers.

Thanks Roy,
I wasn't looking in fact, but noted that the addresses being quoted were now bound to be "no longer active" since the domains have been closed, but thanks anyway and I'm sure your reference will be of use to others here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.