April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (fallschirmjaeger), 205 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,431
Posts544,705
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Years ago Trap shooter often bent their barrels to change POI. Watched one fellow do it at the club and go test it. Back for a little more adjustment and test again. Not very scientific but he shot it well.

I had a A5 which I lent to a fellow who fell while carrying it and he bent the barrel. I re-bent it back by slamming it across a bag of shot several times. It went back almost perfectly. It took several attempt get it right but when finished it was as good as new. I lent it to him again without worry. He had been wounded in Viet Nam and his balance was always iffy. A booby trap exploded right next to his radioman, killing the radioman and shearing most of the top of his head off. Miracle that he lived at all. If he ask for it, and I had it, I gave it to him with not hesitation or questions asked. He was a good man and one who had a short and difficult life like a lot of others who severed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It seems you can teach an old dog new tricks. After his previous video which pretty much bashed the use of a .410 for any game birds he now has had a change of heart. Excellent video by Carrie on using the little gun for driven partridges, forwarded to me by our resident woodcock whisperer, Gil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrqqIMtptQs

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Ted- hope you are making progress with your vision, and next Fall (or sooner) will find you A-OK- and the MN grouse will hear from you in season-

You mention that no gauge calls for choke tubes like the .410- I tend to agree,even though I have never owned a .410, and at my age, would most likely not buy one- But somehow in my misc gun parts inventory, I- have a Mint condition Lyman Cutts Full choke tube for the .410 gauge. 100& blue, threads 100%- I went to Corson's website, see that he had one for $100.00

I am going to post my FS on the proper sector here- just FYI.
and I have enjoyed watching the Dave Currie shooting videos here, even the ones with the driven pheasants and the .410 O/U guns.

Do you know what make and model 12 bore O/U Dave shoots? Looks like a Browning, lots of engraving, 32" barrels is my guess. I really enjoy the George Digweed videos, just a barrel chested farm lad with a Perrazi O/U-- I can't believe the ranges at which he dumps pigeons and crows-- Wow.

When I took my M12 in 28" gauge (payment on a debt) my friend also had 2 of them with factory installed Cutts compensators. I accepted the 1939 field grade, 26" solid ribbed, WS-2 chokes, 2&7/8" chambers- at that time, he felt that the other 2 were worth way more, as the Cutts were factory installed, and he had the order card copies to verify this, supposedly. Today, Cabela's Gun Library will not buy ANY shotgun with a Cutts, Poly-Choke or other less well known muzzle device. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox,
I have but one .410, the boy outgrew the gun in perhaps a month, and is thrilled to be up to a 20 gauge. My wife will go to the range and play with us in a very narrow spectrum of conditions-perfect weather, weekend, her house is cleaned, and the laundry mountain is down to a reasonable, for her, level.
Her damn priorities are different than ours. So, it is just the boy and I, usually.
My problem with the .410 is not what it is, per say, but what it isnt. If we could get Chuck, Stan, Ky Jon, and all these guys who are really good with their .410s into a room and get enough bourbon into them for the truth to come out about how much money they had in figuring the science of the .410 out, it would be sobering for the guys feeding them the bourbon.
The curve is steep with the .410, and the price of admission is always higher, for anything involved with it. Im at a point where it isnt the money, well, not always, anyway, but, the time, to chase the .410 fairy, as it were, instead of just unleashing the 16 or 12 gauge tiger, to do its task, cheaper, and more effectively.
Yes, I could put chokes in my cheap little .410 pump. Then, burn daylight, ammunition, time, and money to find out that at around 25 yards, you need to start thinking twice about whether to take that shot at a wild bird ducking into the conifers at the end of his runway.
Or, just bring the 12, and call it good. Im not real good at pondering things in the midst of a Ruffed Grouse flush. I dont bring a bunch of guns to hunt with, either. Usually, just one.
If you got time and money to figure that stuff out, more power to you. Ive got a full time job, a 12 year old, other bad habit hobbies, and not as much time to hunt as Id like.
Our .410 is mostly a fun toy for the range.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just rest comfortably in the fact that no one is going to put a .410 to your head and force you to use the same, Ted.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well see. The feds and the state have far too much to say about what I shoot out of my guns, now.
If they wanted Joe six pack out of the game, and into a bowling alley, forcing him to use a .410 would be a great start.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

.410s are for children....and old men trying to relive their childhoods.

Just saying....

Sidelock
Sidelock

.410's and 28 gauges are mostly for the relief of boredom or fatigue from "bigger" guns, or for the snob's ego trip brag. I have no problem with the boredom/fatigue, but detest the braggart.

Stan is one of the rare exceptions: he has a love affair with his .410's and derives great enjoyment from them. I enjoy seeing and hearing about this exploits with the 67.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ever saw the show Baggage with Jerry Springer ?

Had a 30 year old guy on there with his baby blanket.

Just saying....

Sidelock
Sidelock

M-42s are all the justification I need. Otherwise doubt I'd mess with .410s. Never had a .410 during childhood. Must be an oddball - reliving late middle age.

During October a 42 obliges me to pass less than 10% of otherwise makeable WC shots, but almost half the grouse opportunities. Decades ago limiting mattered, no more.

As for the "work" of dissecting .410 shells, analyzing patterns, and playing with chokes - that's just extra fun for a shameless nerd. As for the "money" invested, never once thought to break it down by gauge. Cuz I dig "figuring the science" of 28s, 20s, 16s, and 12s, too.

No bourbon, tho...I hate being up all night with reflux.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.