April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Mark II, NCTarheel, FlyChamps, Ken Nelson, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 995 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,187
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#520453 08/10/18 09:28 PM
SXS 40 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

How are promotional loads ie: Walmart Winchester, Cabelas Herters or Dicks Remington ,inferior to other lead loads? For The purpose of shooting clay target games.

HWK
Sidelock
Sidelock

They're usually loaded with shot containing less antimony, in the lead/antimony alloy mix. The higher the antimony content the harder the shot. Harder shot costs more $ to produce, thus a more expensive loading.

What's the big deal about harder shot? Harder shot generally produces better patterns, which hold up better for longer distance targets. WW AA, Rem. Nitro, and the higher priced premium loadings from other companies usually are loaded with harder shot. But, the promo loads are plenty good enough for a lot of the shooting most of us do.

If you're careful you can buy AAs, get rebates of $2/box, up to 50 boxes per year, and end up buying them for as low a price, in the end, as the promo loads.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 08/10/18 09:50 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Im in that 90%. For some folks the more expensive/higher quality ammunition makes a difference, real or perceived. Myself, I loaded up last week on the 1oz Federals at Walmart. If I fail to break a target its not the fault of the ammo.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lower grade of shot. Promo shells often have steel heads instead of brass and a bit thinner plastic hull. Less desirable for reloading. Years ago some did not have a wad like the target loads did but a thin wrapper around shot. Target loads tend to be very consistent while promotional loads less so. Still promo loads are a good value for target shooting.

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any informal shooting and I'm grabbing the cheap ones, staying away from the quote "hi speed" loads. Don't need 1,350 FPS to break a clay. That said, I shot 100 rounds last week of Federal Game 20 gauge loads with 7/8 oz shot at 1,200 FPS out of a 5 lb 12 ounce factory 2 3/4" Fox and was beat up pretty good. If I was full of money and not a wall mart shopper I'd be shooting RST 3/4 ounce loads all the time. Just hard to pay twice the cost when you are just having some fun. Especially when you are already paying $30 per round to shoot.

PS. I think the Herter's shells seem like they kick less then some of the others, but I could be wrong. They are all dirty and require a barrels swabbing after every shoot.

Last edited by tut; 08/11/18 04:06 AM.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

My low cost shell has always been Estate Super Sport Competition shells. At 1 oz./1180 fps in 12 ga., they have hard shot are clean burning and easy on the shoulder. Not as inexpensive as promo shells but less than AAs at around $6.50 a box. Good components in an inexpensive hull.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Many years ago, I bought and used promo shells. After a trip to the pattern board, I no longer buy promo loads.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's always made sense to me to reload hard shot 7/8 oz loads for clays at sensible velocities. I might not be saving much, but I know what I have.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most of the promo/dove loads that hit the shelves this time of year are 1 oz. @ 1290 fps or so and are pretty high pressure loads with cheap fast-burning powders, and have more recoil as a result. The shot looks like floor sweepings and pattern accordingly.

I'll stick with Clever T1's, Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics, Rio Target Load (TLT), or the aforementioned Estate Super Sport Competition, all at 1 oz. 1200-1235 fps. Not that much money difference from the promos and much better on both ends.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like OP is in California, and we can no longer order ammo over the internet without having it shipped to an FFL who will do the transfer for a fee, and a lot of FFLs just won't do the transfer. Ammo dealers know this and have raised retail prices accordingly. Some big online sellers like Mack's Prairie Wings will not ship to CA, period. They don't even care if you have an FFL. It will get worse after January 1 when we have get an ammo buyer's license for a fee, with a background check and fingerprints. That probably means that even fewer FFLs will be willing to do transfers unless they bump their fees to offset the paperwork and hassle. Shelf selection at most dealers is very limited, so you're not likely to find Clever or RST or B&P or Herter's or even Rio anywhere. I haven't even been able to find Fiocchi training loads. So bottom line is promo loads from WalMart may be the best deal for a lot of shooting, or step up to Fed, Rem or Win premium target loads at twice the price. Or go back to reloading. This is the last season we will be able to use lead on doves here, next year is non tox for all hunting statewide.

And the current situation is further complicated by the Real ID driver license issue. CA was late to the party and didn't start issuing the Real ID licenses until a few months ago, and some ammo dealers are now requiring a Real ID license for ammo purchases, even though the law does not require it. If you want a Real ID license, plan to make a DMV appointment two months in advance, and then spend the whole day at the DMV waiting in various lines, even with the appointment, then wait a couple of weeks for the new license to come in the mail, assuming that you successfully navigated the bureaucratic maze.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.