April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (oskar), 987 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pulled my old W Richards out & tried it in an over the shoulder position for carry. didn't go anywhere just held it so that it was at a comfortable balance point.
Stan is 1001% correct, no way the lever is going to Jab my neck.

Gun would lay on shoulder in the chamber area & lever is behind the action body, well ahead of my neck with that carry. Scratch that one as a disadvantage. I don't carry that way anyhow. As Stan said after the hunt with an empty gun would be fine, but not while walking in possibly rough terrain with a loaded gun.

Of course as I have already stated I have never actually hunted with a side lever gun, but I certainly would not turn down a nice gun on that account. The side lever may or may not be better than a top lever, but is certainly no disadvantage if on the left side for one loading their own gun. I simply cannot speak for someone using a Loader as I haven't worn that T-Shirt.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would like to add that in now way am I "dissing" my friend Joe, who is the O.P. on this thread. Joe is a straight shooter, in more ways than one, and when he posts something it is worth listening to. I just meant that for me, the way I shoulder carry, a left side lever would not be prone to neck discomfort.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
You ever think of moving back to Morocco ?

+1

Larry probably didn't see this because he was at the Mosque saying his morning prayers.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
I would like to add that in now way am I "dissing" my friend Joe, who is the O.P. on this thread. Joe is a straight shooter, in more ways than one, and when he posts something it is worth listening to. I just meant that for me, the way I shoulder carry, a left side lever would not be prone to neck discomfort.

SRH

+1 Joe is one of the very best people I've had the pleasure of knowing. And, boy, can he shoot!

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

To Joes original point about carrying a side lever on the the right shoulder, I believe he was referring to carrying the gun open over the the right shoulder with barrels forward as we often carry guns on a sporting clays course. The side lever is then on your shoulder side and away from your neck.

As to which side the side lever is most comfortable to use for a right handed shooter, I think the answer is somewhat counter-intuitive. The right side works most comfortably because the right handed shooter can hold gun with one hand under the action body and rotate his hand laterally as he opens the gun with one motion ( supinating the wrist). This leaves the left hand free to load the shells. Easier than opening a top lever with one hand!

If the lever were on the left, you would have to bring your hand over the gun and not be able to support the action from beneath, a less secure grip.

I say this as a regular shooter of a Grant side lever pigeon hammer gun and an Alfred Lancaster side lever Anson Deeley BLNE side lever...both on the right. They are truly effortless to open and hold with one hand!

I have also served as a loader for Joe in Charlotte with his beautiful pair of Boswells at a number of flurry shoots and find loading a pair of side levers much easier than loading a pair of top levers.

Dr. P

Sidelock
Sidelock

A further clarification of my statement above: all four of the side lever guns above (the Grant, the A. Lancaster and the pair of Boswells) have relatively svelte round English straight grips. The shooter or loaders right hand rotates under those round grips behind the trigger guard as he backhands the side lever with his thumb. This keeps the weight of the gun firmly in your hand.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I owned and hunted a 1905 vintage Stephen Grant with nitro proofed Damascus barrels. That is one I should have kept! I always wondered why the side lever did not become the norm VS the top lever. It is so much more intuitive to use and does away with some parts like the Scott spindle. Personally, I think it is a simpler and therefore stronger in some respects to the top lever. To my eyes it is also more aesthetically pleasing than any top lever and the best examples are those made by Stephen Grant. Best guns in every sense of the word.

W. R. Eddleman
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.