March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (FlyChamps, Argo44, SKB, Little Creek, 2 invisible), 790 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm not really qualified to comment on the Wisconsin thread. WNV exists in Ontario but real evidence of its effect on wild grouse populations is lacking. I did however enjoy the anecdotal reports from some of the posters there. So here's mine.
I hunt upland in south/central Ontario and have done so since a kid. In terms of northness, we are similar latitude to Minneapolis. I have had a woodlot for 20 years which is mostly former pasture and is as good as it gets for grouse and woodcock habitat. I hunt it but quite lightly -never more than a few birds a year. I have other options and this was more my ace in the hole.
My report on 2017 is we started spring with lots of grouse. It was looking to be a great year. By fall however when there should have been 5x as many, the population was largely unchanged. At least in this small locale the clutch survival seems to have been nonexistent. I would say there are as many blue jays or more than ever. Ravens and crows I think are stable. What did happen last year was rain. Lots and lots of rain. 20 days straight at one point. And bugs! The worst season of biting bugs I have ever experienced. Not trying to assign a causal relationship to anything here, just making an observation.
So I did not shoot any birds last year as the numbers made me feel they needed a break. In fact never took a shotgun out and instead hunted deer only.
Spring 2018 proved that a handful of birds made it through the winter. I have the feeling that barring some catastrophe they should have good success as my theory is all are older experienced birds. Spending this coming weekend there so will do another informal census on this years broods.
As regards woodcock, the decline continues in my area. I can always find woodcock but numbers are fewer each year it seems.
Would be interested in hearing what other bird hunters are experiencing.
JB

Sidelock
Sidelock

grouse are few and far between in the mid atlantic and new england states, except for pockets in northern maine...we are infested with the predatory wild turkey menace...are there turkeys in your grouse woods? if so, that is not good a good sign...

Last edited by ed good; 07/31/18 08:23 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
DLA Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I grew up in Southeastern New York and learned to shoot on Ruffed Grouse. Birds were plentiful but that was over fifty years ago. There was a constant dwindling of numbers until there were none. I haven't seen one in the area I grew up in in over twenty years.

Lots of turkeys and deer though if you care for such things.

Dennis

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ed,
there are no turkeys on my land but are encroaching. Slightly further south turkeys are everywhere. I can't think turkeys can be good for grouse just like relatively recent arrival of turkey vultures was not good for ravens or crows. 40 years ago there were basically no turkeys in this province but since then has been a very successful joint Canada/US reintroduction effort with numerous agencies and volunteer groups. This was an extremely productive undertaking and the introduction of open seasons was greatly enjoyed by a lot of hunters. Now all those birds are Ontario-born and they're here to stay and spreading further.
Whether that is bad for grouse on my patch I really don't know but would rather not find out.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I never know until I am out there. I hunt public land, am blessed to have a lot of access all over the state, but, some of it is off limits until hunting season. I don't typically hunt the openers of either season, preferring to let a month or so go by.
When the corn is still standing, it is mostly a waste of time to hunt pheasants, and if you have more than about 50% of the leaves up on the trees, the same is pretty much true with grouse. Hearing grouse flush without seeing them isn't my idea of fun. Pheasant hunting, later in the season, without a dog, is mostly hiking, and has been that way my whole life.

Minnesota was hit very hard with heavy, flooding spring rains two years ago, pretty much from the Iowa border to the Canadian border. Just north of the metro area of Mpls/St. Paul, I got 13 inches of rain on one night, 6 inches on another, and that storm ran the entire state, south to north. I expect most of five years will pass before that event is not a factor in the bird numbers. I only hunt pheasants and grouse, but, I think I can legally shoot 5 Canada geese every damn day during the season, they, in addition to deer and turkeys, are in plentiful, pestilent supply, even in areas outside their historic range, and, are doing well in the metro area. I have seen turkeys and deer on the edge of downtown Mpls. Geese, are everywhere, including downtown. I can't even bring myself to shoot Canadas anymore, so many of them just eat off golf courses, and taste like whatever fertilizer or bug control chemicals are being applied when they are there. The same thing happens with morel mushrooms, by the way, if you are interested.

I'll let you know. Pockets of birds are your friend in times like these. I know very few hunters who will put in the effort to find birds these days.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't imagine what it's like to have a real upland bird to hunt in beautiful hardwood and mixed stand forests on a frosty morning when the leaves are falling...
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

John Roberts,

Come spend some time in our northern tier Pa forest, and do a little Grouse and Woodcock hunting in the 2nd week of October. See why we call Potter County God's Country. The leaves will be turning and God's greatest show will be in full evidence, bring a good dog with ya, the Grouse and Woodcock hunting will be challenging. Don't forget a fine double gun and a goodly amount of shotgun shells! Drop me a PM and we will arrange for you to do more than imagine it!

RGD/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

My buddy Ken Graft being presented his 1st big Trophy Grouse by Pine Creek Daisy, in God's Country. On a beautiful sunny November day. Ken had the big bird mounted, for his Shooting Star Gun Shop. It is truly a Trophy Grouse.

Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog; 08/01/18 01:27 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
I can't imagine what it's like to have a real upland bird to hunt in beautiful hardwood and mixed stand forests on a frosty morning when the leaves are falling...
JR

We have two of them, JR--if you count woodcock. And a whole lot of public land on which to hunt them. Hoping for a better season this year than last. I didn't kill many grouse last year, but I shot all of them within maybe 10 minutes of my house. Not that my particular location is anything special, other than being surrounded by public land on which quite a bit of logging takes place.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm in eastern Ontario, JBLondon, and grouse populations around the property seem similar to last year, just occasional birds. I haven't seen any woodcock this year, though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Steve Nash
I'm in eastern Ontario, JBLondon, and grouse populations around the property seem similar to last year, just occasional birds. I haven't seen any woodcock this year, though.

Steve, you and John met in June at the SxS meet in Oshawa...both of you showing some fantastic hammer and hammer pinfire guns. Just in case you didn't recognize each other.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.