March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gunning Bird, Argo44), 363 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,005
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#519373 07/26/18 08:11 PM
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was asked to post these, and glad to do it

I think this is a nice complementary thread to the "pictures from Herschel" thread, any idea who did the engraving?

Sidelock
Sidelock

PhysDoc was kind enough to post this set of pictures for me of an interesting rifle done by Tom Shelhamer. It is a small ring Mauser in 7X57 Mauser (He previously posted another set showing a Shelhamer 22 LR under "Pictures for Herschel" in the Custom rifle thread). This one has a 22" barrel done in a featherweight type contour and weighs under 7 1/2 pounds as scoped with a Leupold 6X compact. I put this on due to the better optics over the old Weaver that came with the gun but still have it set aside.

Like the model 69 previously shown, it has the standard Shelhamer characteristics such as his name stamped under the case colored buttplate, horn gripcap, brass forend tie-down and a "brushed" treatment to the bolt body however, it has a couple of features rarely seen on his rifles. The first is skip line checkering which I understand he did on a few (less than a dozen?) and the second is case colored cross bolts which I've only seen on a some of his big bore rifles.

The metalwork is engraved "Niedner Arms... No 310...etc". For years I wondered how such an early Dowagiac gun could have a Shelhamer stock as I thought he wasn't present there this early. This was especially odd as the number stamped under the buttplate was much later. But fate finally stepped in! Thru diligence (actually just good luck) I spoke with a fellow several years ago who knew the rifle's history and straightened me out on this point. The original owner had Niedner make this rifle and several subsequent ones that were stocked by Shelhamer so years later after Niedner had closed and Shelhamer was independent, he sent it to him to be stocked once again, mystery solved!

The rifle features extensive engraving by Arnold Griebel that not only includes the floor plate and trigger-guard but chamber slug area, barrel banded swivel base area, bolt handle and muzzle tip area. I am very fond of scroll around a game animal which this one has (assuming the animal looks like it should) and find the Whitetail Buck to very appropriate for the 7mm.

I've always thought that my version of Col. George's "three little rifles" would be his 69 in 22, this 7X57 and a 375 H&H on a Magnum Mauser all done by Shelhamer but we probably all have a different take on what our trio might be. Hope you enjoy...

Ed

Sidelock
Sidelock

That style takes me back to Roy Dunlap's Gunsmithing book. There is at least one Shelhamer rifle featured in the book. My favorite stock from Dunlap's book were by Bob Owen. They are very similar to Shelhamer's stock but with no Monte Carlo.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I’ve been following this forum for several years, but this thread motivated me to join.

Over twenty years ago I was fortunate to receive a Mauser 98 in .270 Win. with a French walnut, skip-line checkered stock by Tom Shelhamer from the estate of a relative.

Apart from a descriptive note accompanying the rifle, back then, before the internet era, there wasn’t much additional information available, so at the time, I had no idea who Tom Shelhamer was. With more time on my hands in the last couple of years for research, I sure do now!

From the detailed description received with the rifle, mine has the following features:
- .270 Winchester on an Oberdorft Mauser 98 (1933) action
- Chrome-lined Sukalle Barrel
- Frosted bolt and follower
- Drilled and tapped for receiver sights
- Weaver K6 scope with lens cover on Beuhler mount
- Fine French walnut stock with Monte Carlo comb and cheekpiece, contrasting Rosewood trim and deluxe skip-line checkering; by Thomas Shelhamer

and from examination:
- Extensive fiddleback figuring
- Color-case hardened Neidner butt plate, checkered bolt stop and magazine floor plate thumb index
- 24” barrel
- It is identified with “T. SHELHAMER” and a number, stamped under the butt plate.

I learned that Mr. Shelhamer rarely used skip-line checkering on his stocks – estimates run from a total of half a dozen to a dozen. The subject of the original post, eddie14’s, is only the second one I’ve seen on-line; the first was this one:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/947100324/Shelhamer-and-Kilpatrick-Custom-Mauser.htm

If I can impose on PhysDoc to post photos of this rifle, I’ll forward them to him.

John

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are the pictures

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed, that is one very very nice rifle. I love it and I imagine you are most proud to be its current caretaker. Congrats.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.