April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (smlekid, Ted Schefelbein, Argo44), 436 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ah yes. That makes more sense. I was recently reading about Fox guns and the different barrel weights used (and sometimes marked as such) and thought 'hmmm'. Overactive imagination I guess. Thanks for clarifying guys.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an Ithaca Model 37 Deerslayer that my wife gave me on the day I made Captain. Moments after she presented me with it at Squadron Hq the S1 clerk came bursting in to tell me that my XO had just shot himself with a 1911. That is a total other story for another time but to this day I still feel that the best thing I could have done for the US Army would have been to take that 37 back to my troop and finish the job that he started!! The bottom line on that gun is that it has been used for deer hunting probably three times with only one occasion resulting in the harvesting of a deer with a slug, but it has sure killed a lot of quail!! One of the slickest little pumps I have had and now one of only two that I still possess.

O

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I finally got the safety out tonite (stock bolt was being a bear to remove). I am sure there is a better way to remove the safety, but I had to strip down the entire trigger assembly to get it out. Oh well, it needs a good cleaning anyways.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

You did it the right way. Cleanliness is next to Godliness.

Good luck with the new gun(s).

Best,
Ted

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Caleb,
It's been awhile since I've removed an M37's buttstock, but rather than use a screwdriver, a 12 point socket will fit over the square bolt's end. It's a lot easier to apply torque to the socket than with a flat bladed screwdriver which will tend to slip out of the notch. I don't recall the size of the socket, but while the bolt is out, you can "trial and error" for fit. Gil

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Gil, you nailed it on the head... 7/16" to be exact. That's how I got the bugger out. It looked like it was starting to rust to the wood. When that happens, it's near impossible to break it free - at least in my limited experience. When I reassemble it, I'll probably wax the smooth shank of the through bolt (not the threads) to prevent that from ever happening again.

kgb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you going to have the choke opened or have tubes installed? Last year I bought a 20ga m37 with a Full choke and took it to a shop with a pull-through gauge to confirm the constriction. With cheap shells the gun does not seem to shoot so very tight (I have not patterned it to check though) and it's worked fine on Pheasant and quail. Unless you're restricted to hunting dense cover and need an open choke it might be worth patterning to check just what the barrel can produce now.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

KGB & others,

The safety has been swapped...no issues. The Raybar front sight has been swapped for a bead and the choke has been opened to just a hair over cylinder. The gun will be doing duty for woodcock and grouse when I feel like carrying something different than a double. Thanks for all the interest and discussion...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Walter C. Snyder
Woody402,
You have the king of M-37 repairs and parts right there in Ithaca--Les Hovencamp-Diemond Gunsmithing.
ps In spite of Geo's experience, the design never changed. You have a choice of a right or left hand safety. Independent of gauge OR year.

If I ever need work on my Ithacas I will definitely take it to Les. Matt B. always speaks highly of his work. GunBlack also. Trying to get together with him to shoot next week. Im going to have to get an Ithaca SXS if I continue to shoot with him. Not my foxes.

Last edited by Woody402; 08/15/18 09:46 PM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.