April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Marks_21, griz, skeettx, SKB, KDGJ, 1 invisible), 226 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,052
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#516108 06/18/18 06:52 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gents,
I have a Model 51 Husky whose top rib has com loose at the breech end. I have one respected smith looking at it now but their price is about 2x the value of the gun. It is just a shooter-grade gun that I enjoy shooting and would like to get back to serviceable. I understand laser welding may be an option. I would appreciate any suggests or recommendations you guys may have to get this gun back to serviceable condition.
Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

DIY? a little sand paper, soft iron wire, LEAD tin solder with rosin core, a couple of metal wedges and a propane torch. Use the least possible heat.

bill

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Bill but I think that is beyon my skill level. My luck the bottom rib would fall off. LOL

Sidelock
Sidelock

Come on - the Midway guy did it in 2 minutes and 18 seconds. I would totally attempt it on a low value gun. Worst case scenario it 1) pops up again or 2) doesn't look great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8kCxViD04Y

Otherwise, give Bill Schwarz a call in Elijay, Georgia. 706-276-7668.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't sell yourself short. I did an LC on my own and it turned out really well. Straight, air tight, and shoots where its supposed to. Practiced on a crap parts barrel first to get the hang of wedges, tinning, wiring, and both flux types etc. Used some resources here (Chuck H write-up by Dr. Drew) back when this web page was 90% great info, 10% garbage (now inverse to that).

After the job, I can see why the experts charge so much. Dirty, messy, and smoky job. And then the work started, cleaning the tinned barrels down into the joint. Cold blue helped locate the tin..another tip I picked up here.

Unfortunately, my damascus refinishing skills sucked then..and still suck. So, I sent it off to Brad Belchelder. He said I did great..which meant a lot coming from him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

bill: did you say propane...blas famey!

real problem is, as i understand it from old ed, is that you need to completely remove both ribs, clean and degrease the areas to be resoldered, jig up the barrels and then rejoin both barrels and ribs, leaving a few inches of muzzle area unjoined so you can re regulate the barrels to the desired point of impact for your shot patterns...this can take a lot of time, cause it is a trial an error process..then after all that, barrels need to be re blued or re browned...

well, wise guy that i sometimes are, ah says to old ed: why dont you jes git yourself two of them new lazer lights made to fit shotgun chambers. you know, the ones they make for bore sighting scopes on slug guns...then after jigging up and before you start soldering, awl you gotta do, is jes fire up the lazers, an then just adjust the unsoldered barrels in the jig, until the lights converge...great idea, right? well, old ed, he jes smile, an den he cock one eye, an he says, that could work...cept shotgun chambers aint always bored concent trict...feldt like ah dumb ass kid with lots o smart ideas, but no prac tile sperience...den, ah says, how bout tryin some epoxy glue...old ed, he jes smile agin, an he dont say nuttin...ah new den an der, hit were time for me to leave...

Last edited by ed good; 06/19/18 11:38 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
...ah new den an der, hit were time for me to leave...

Pity you can't figure that out on this forum.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

stan da troll...dont sound right, but der hit is...

Last edited by ed good; 06/20/18 07:31 AM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Phunter,
Thanks for the reply and encouragement. Ill look for a set of junk barrels at a gun show to practice on if I cant find someone to do it at a reasonable cost. Interestingly, the price I got was $150-200 for the repair and $500 for the bluing. Sounds like it should have been the other way around!
Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
stan da troll...dont sound right, but der hit is...

I'd say Stan is far from a troll.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.