March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Researcher, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, damascus, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 660 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan- Most people are sedentary.
They don't wear work boots every day.
Those of us that do, and who chase birds wherever and whenever, get a pretty unique panoply of experience.

My "had-to-have" Kangaroo skinned boots lasted 4 days in Nebraska. Grass ate through the toes. Their loyal following is comical to me. I call them "range boots".

The modern carbon fibre shanked composite toe work boots with a dual durometer sole are an absolute Godsend when you walk 10+ miles a day on concrete.

My wife struggles to get 6500 steps a day. I get 10,000 by noon. And it shows in her foot, ankle, knee, leg, and hip health.

I think that's pretty much the same reality for everyone.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

For waterproofing leather really really well use 1 part beeswax to 4 parts paraffin wax

The link shows my old boots after this treatment.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaeU-r9HLNZ/?hl=en&taken-by=woodworking_gunsmith

The same boots before treatment

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaeU-ZEH5RU/?hl=en&taken-by=woodworking_gunsmith

Last edited by Demonwolf444; 05/25/18 10:18 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: old colonel
I know some have had bad experiences with Russell, but I have not.

I wear Russells everyday (Art Carter) and either unlined in dry weather or gortex lined in wet and love them.

I've got 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 pair of Russell Moccasins shoes and boots...never knew them to offer Gore Tex guess that's just for Old Colonels. Never had any Art Carters but I did know him. cool

Russell Signature South Forty....best walking boot I ever put on my feet (and I walked on rough terrain for a living).

Most people that don't like Russell boots are the ones that measure or have some bOzo selling Russel boots measure their feet.

Stick with the Vibran soles and don't get fooled by any of the other offerings

All the ones I have I just ordered in my standard size 11D...if it's insulated and I plan on wearing a heavier sock I order a 1/2 size bigger.

Russell Moccasin...best customer service in the USA. (Unless you are a moron)

I waited for The Vintagers at Sandanona one year to get measured by Ralph Fabricius, the president of Russell.

My boots arrived a couple months later and my experience was the exact same as Ghostriders, the necks were so tight it took 5 minutes of struggling to get them on and then one boot length was good the other was short.The interior had bumps of leather and stitching that caused blisters.

I sent them back a couple times but in the end they sent me back my money.

Disclaimer, I've been a size 10D all my life and stock shoes fit me just fine.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Demonwolf444
For waterproofing leather really really well use 1 part beeswax to 4 parts paraffin wax

The link shows my old boots after this treatment.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaeU-r9HLNZ/?hl=en&taken-by=woodworking_gunsmith

The same boots before treatment

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaeU-ZEH5RU/?hl=en&taken-by=woodworking_gunsmith

DW,

Very nice! Your recipe is nearly the same as what I use on my canvas apparel. I typically use Snoseal on my boots (may be the same thing actually), but I will give your recipe a try. Thanks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Throw in equal shots of mineral spirits and linseed oil and you can treat your cedar deck and fence with the stuff. smile

Everyone has a favorite for boots and most of them are different. I'm glad I finally found mine. It amazes me how different peoples' views are on this topic. You would think we were discussing cartridges or something smile

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will second or third the choice of the Meindl boots sold by cabelas. I had Danner Pronghorns (originals that just wore out - no complaints and, Irish Setter Russel look-alikes) that were not supportive enough for my pronation. Ive hunted long, hard, wet days in the Meindls and never felt foot fatigue. I also have the Le Chameau Chasseurs and have found limited use for them in terms of hunting. They are great to stand around in wet grass and light walk-up shooting but for any serious terrain or simply putting a lot of walking in,, they just havent been as comfortable or supportive enough to choose over my other hunting boots. This could be more about my build - skinny ankles and calves which leaves a lot of room for the uppers to move around (and Im not that skinny!).. They do however feel great but alas, have been in the closet unworn for several seasons.. jmc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Recoil Rob

Most people that don't like Russell boots are the ones that measure or have some bOzo selling Russel boots measure their feet.

I waited for The Vintagers at Sandanona one year to get measured by Ralph Fabricius, the president of Russell.

My boots arrived a couple months later and my experience was the exact same as Ghostriders, the necks were so tight it took 5 minutes of struggling to get them on and then one boot length was good the other was short.The interior had bumps of leather and stitching that caused blisters.

I sent them back a couple times but in the end they sent me back my money.

Disclaimer, I've been a size 10D all my life and stock shoes fit me just fine.

My point proven this custom foot measure is hOrse hockey.

Case closed....

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's too bad we don't hunt like the English staying in one spot while the peasants (affectionately known as beaters) drive the game toward us to shoot. If this was the case we could all wear them $400 leather-lined galoshes with French name.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
It's too bad we don't hunt like the English staying in one spot while the peasants (affectionately known as beaters) drive the game toward us to shoot. If this was the case we could all wear them $400 leather-lined galoshes with French name.

My experience of 40 years English shooting it at variance to this scenario,,,could you give dates and locations where you last saw it happen ? Our peasants are an endangered species these days and we keep just a few in zoos to show to the children as an example of what happens if you don't eat your greens.

As our language becomes impoverished,,our thinking shrinks to fit.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old colonel
I know some have had bad experiences with Russell, but I have not.

I wear Russells everyday (Art Carter) and either unlined in dry weather or gortex lined in wet and love them.

I've got 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 pair of Russell Moccasins shoes and boots...never knew them to offer Gore Tex guess that's just for Old Colonels. Never had any Art Carters but I did know him. cool

Russell Signature South Forty....best walking boot I ever put on my feet (and I walked on rough terrain for a living).

Stick with the Vibran soles and don't get fooled by any of the other offerings

All the ones I have I just ordered in my standard size 11D...if it's insulated and I plan on wearing a heavier sock I order a 1/2 size bigger.

Russell Moccasin...best customer service in the USA. (Unless you are a moron)

You maybe correct what I thought was gortex is actually Thinsulate Insulation

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.