April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Marks_21), 235 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,045
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
They all look like good boots, but heavy, stiff and not very comfortable (or warm or waterproof). If you are sick of Chinese boots, get a pair of Kennetrek's (SP?) made in Montana.

I bought a pair of Meindl Denali's and used them on very steep ground this spring for turkeys. They are GREAT! I don't know where the were made. I think Germany.

I would assume Meindl boots are still made in Germany and should be in the mountaineering style?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've many more pairs of "waterproof boots" fail on me than I can count. In this experiment I'll be trying greased leather for my waterproof protection. I'll let you know how it goes...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I should have a new pair of Ariat hunting boots tomorrow. I was looking for a round toe, a wide toe box and a sole with traction and these were the only ones that fit the bill at a reasonable price. This company is know for cowboy boots and the first time I have tried them. P

I have had Danner, LLBean, Irish Setter and Russell. I would say the Danner and Irish Setter have been the best so far although I am not crazy about the newer Danners and the Irish Setters were heavy. That's my reason for giving Ariat a try. I will let you know how they look and feel.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

HanWag , made in Germany
https://www.hanwag.com/

I bought a pair of Goretex hikers in the German PX at Kunduz back in 2012. still going strong. All of the German Fallschirmjagers were using them, not as flexible as some of the lightweight boots I have used but these have trekked the Swiss Alps, the Adirondacks, Catskills. My feet have remained dry and comfortable. not too heavy.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

I love my new redwing/ Irish setters

Sidelock
Sidelock

After years of trying differnet brands of boots I settled on Kenetrex for the hunting I do in Arizona. The biggest mistake I have made in a long time was deciding that I needed a pair of Russells. Ordered a pair of their sheep hunting boots.
Despite sending them all of the measurements for my feet twice, when I got the boots they fit poorly. Workmanship as far as stiching and poorly glued on toe caps was pitiful. I could barely get my feet in the boot due to the neck of the boot being so narrow.
Once boots were on one boot fit close, the other had to be a full size off. Tried to wear them by walking about a 1/2 mile around he neighborhood thinking maybe that I was being to critical.
Ended up with blisters on both top and bottom of my feet. Sent them back and a week or two later got them back.
They fit a slight bit better, but still the worse fitting and most uncomfortable boots I have ever worn.
The fix for the narrow neck was to slit down the sides of the tongue. Very poorly done. Glued the toe caps where they were lifting and looks like an amateur did it. Twice the price of Kenetrex and a quarter of the quality. I was so disapointed I put them in the closet and have not looked at them for 6 months since I got them back.
Maybe my experience would have been much different if I had ordered a lighter bird shooting boot. I know many swear by these boots, I swear at them.
In all fairness I have been so upset I never bothered to send them back again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My favorite is still USA made Danners. They have multiple "last" styles for varied fits. Find the one you like for the situation you are using them and you're golden. Stitch down construction, rebuildable, and, unlike fellow above, I have had top notch customer service. Gotta' watch it though, because they've slowly transitioned to overseas production for some models.

Just bought a pair of $100 Nikes made in a third world country w/the sole glued on crooked. They wanted me to pay to ship them back..lol.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Peter Limmer and Sons of Intervale, New Hampshire offer both stock and custom made hiking boots. Their custom boots are made to measure in the shop in New Hampshire and their stock boots are made in Bavaria (by Meindl, I have heard).

I have a pair of Limmer Lightweight hiking boots that are about 10 years old and very high quality.

Limmer website: http://www.limmercustomboot.com/cgi-bin/CustomBoot/index.pl

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

What the heck, my 2c worth. I used to be a big fan of Danner Grouse boots (the USA made ones, not the Chinese cheapo's) but I didn't get a lot of ankle support. Last year I pulled the pin on a pair of Meindl Denali's from Cabela's

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-DENALI-WITH-FIT-IQ/2286555.uts?slotId=0

Best boot I've ever owned. Great support, comfortable (no break in period at all), waterproof (so far!) and a quality made boot. They are a bit on the heavy side, but the pros outweigh the cons. Mine are German made.

For winter hunting I have an older pair of Irish Setter insulated boots, another great boot, still waterproof, warm in sub zero weather. I've had these boots for close to 8 years now, still going strong.

While we're at it. If any of you have a Danner boot and they need to be "refreshed" don't send them to Danner to have this done. By the time your done, for a few bucks more you can buy a new pair. I know, I did it.

Anyway, my 2c worth as I said.

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

At the same time I was buying my bunch of Danners last year, I also ordered a pair of Meindels from Cabela's and a pair of Lowas from REI, both about 10". There is nothing to complain about on the Meindels, but the Pronghorns are just as comfortable. My favorite is the Lowa, but they were over $400, vs $190 for the Meindels on sale and $54 for the 6" Pronghorns on closeout. So I think I'm set for a while.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.