May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 267 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,738
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe I can see Bernard pattern Damascus beneath the patina. You might be able to find an old set of Parker Bros. Bernard (CH) tubes that could be sleeved
into the original tubes. You might be able to cobble together a full length rib by splicing the Daly stamped section onto a nonoriginal rib. You might be able to find a set of diamond grade 10 gauge barrels( I sold a 32” Bernard set ~ 15 years ago)
A lot of “ might be’s“ here.......
If you have the time to spend on researching and acquiring the needed parts, the resources to engage the necessary gunmakers/ craftsmen, and the desire & patience to see through your project to fruition, I say “ damn the torpedoes”!
The key decision is whether you want to do a true restoration, or just “ salvage” what used to be a very special piece of Prussian craftsmanship.
If you choose restoration, be prepared for a long journey that you may tire of before you reach your goal.
Best of luck with whichever direction you choose.
Best Regards,
JBP

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
I'll say this again....I'm only interested in figuring out a consensus price for the piece as it is currently.

If I'm able to acquire it, then there is only one path....restoration to a proper 10 bore shotgun, as Herr Lindner intended. No other path will be considered. If you want to have a discussion about the wisdom of that kind of approach, please start your own thread.

I'll remember to keep my off-topic thoughts to myself next time. So, staying on topic, ask him what he has to get for it. If it's too much, offer less. You already know what you will give him. Deal with it and let us know what you did...
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

John, I will. I wasn't trying to be rude....I just didn't start the thread to talk about directions I won't be going in nor did I want to justify what I will be doing. I've read enough on here about "not getting your money out" to know where it was going to go. That's all.

JBP, I've done this before, although I haven't had to replace barrels before. A sympathetic restoration of the highest quality is the only thing that interests me. If I acquire the gun and if a full restoration proves too much for me, I'll send it down the road. I have no interest in trying to "salvage" something.

In a perfect world, when CJO hands me back the Lindner Diamond 12 gauge he is working on for me, I'll hand him this and the appropriately sourced additional components.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd be a lot more concerned about the second trigger not working if there was evidence that Bubba was in there. But the screwheads all look pretty good. You already know that the barrels are the heart of the gun, and whether sleeved or saved with orphan barrels, the work will result in a gun with much lower value than one with good original tubes. But I think it's a gun worth fixing if you can.

You may remember Terry Buffum's "Clunker Optimus" Lefever restoration project that saved a work of art, but was still not a shooter after several thousand dollars of work, plus the initial expense. This isn't as rare as a Lefever Optimus, but it certainly transcends into the realm of gun artistry. And CJO is certainly a guy who could make this Lindner Daly pretty again. Let's put this in perspective. If you could nail it for $500.00 or so, you wouldn't be one-millionth as crazy as gun guys who vote for anti-gun Democrats. Or you could be like Jagermeister and save all of your money for an extra nice casket with solid brass handles.

There are lots of other guys who like the challenge of a restoration project even knowing they will end up under water. So if you can buy it right, you can always re-sell it and get your money back if finding the right barrels and parts proves too difficult. I can't wait to see it when it's done.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a set of 30" 12 ga Lindner Daly damascus barrels in excellent condition, #7xx from the second number sequence. They would be legitimate candidates for sleeving with the correct DNA but as Eightbore points out, "Who would do it?" If you could find someone, I would guess the labor would be at least $3000-4000. The wood I would be $600-800 minimum, fix the buggered screws and other metal $300-500 plus the gunsmithing repairs and I would have a very heavy 12 ga Lindner made Daly with beautiful engraving with $4-6000 invested not including the price of the gun...or barrels.

The rib would not be correct for a 275 Diamond so it could never be sold as a real Diamond Quality. I just sold a 275 Diamond at the Southern (9xx) that had been rebarreled with proper Krupp steel but did not have the Diamond Quality marked rib and it didn't have the crossed pistols under HAL on the new barrels but the barrel knitter was "RS"....Lindner's guy. The gun was otherwise excellent with killer wood. I sold it for $2k less than I would a pure example.

Bottom line, if I got the gun for free I'm under water before I start.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Life is full of illogical actions, and at the end of the day, we do things we want, not always according to what we need. I buy a vehicle, knowing it depreciates right away. I spend a little more on this or that- because I can, and want to, and enjoy it. I decorate my house according to my taste, not worrying about how it will affect resale value 20 years from now.

I have a composed, three barrel set for my Ideal. I have no chance of getting anywhere near half back of what I have into it. Guess what? I couldn't give a bass' rat. I love the gun, and what I've done. It is so versatile as to be the equivalent of more than three guns, and it handles the same with any of the three on it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

As stated in the OP, justification for the project is not the purpose of the post- just the value of the gun to make a fair offer to the seller. I agree with CZ- you would basically be buying the engraving, with the prospect of a long term project as parts or options became available. Looking at the pics, I'd give 500.00 for it to put that engraving on display- it deserves to be seen.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Huge money pit. I would pass on that one.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister

From the sounds of things JM, you pass on all guns.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister

From the sounds of things JM, you pass on all guns.

All, but one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So, what qualifies you to hold forth on all the others........................what you can "glean" from others' writings? Can't be experience.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.