April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (griz, Hugh Lomas, KDGJ, Lloyd3, SKB, ClapperZapper), 570 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,097
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
topgun Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A seldom seen Hollenbeck double shotgun popped up on GI last week and almost immediately sold to an individual whom almost everyone here knows; and who subsequently contacted me because he knows I'm kinda sorta into Syracuse and Hollenbeck guns. This Hollenbeck is a 12-bore Damascus barreled gun with the sexy "S" shaped full pistol grip and splinter forend; but this example was special ordered and will qualify as a "one-off". Serial number 117 is an early gun that is grade stamped "C" and was shipped with Hollenbeck's optional and very seldom seen auto-ejector option. Hollenbeck double guns are very uncommon, and are seldom seen; and any example above his lowest Grade A gun are really hard to find, so anything grade stamped "C" or higher is a bit special (early cataloged grades were A (lowest @ $75), B ($100) C (125),D $150), E ($200), and F (highest, with a suggested 1901 retail @ $300). I've seen pix of two other C Grade Hollenbeck doubles, and both featured a single pointing dog on either side of the frame. This example features double pointing dogs on one side and 3 elk on the other (elk heads more closely resemble dog head in my opinion; just haven't seen a dog with antlers, so must be elk?), and a covey scene on the trigger guard. The scroll and border work is well executed and a bit deeper cut than the other C's I've observed; and on the floor plate is engraved this inscription "Made for W.W. Beale Wellsburg, W. VA by Hollenbeck Gun Co.". Would be interesting to know who Mr. Beale may have been? The gold name shield inletted into the pistol grip knob is also engraved with his initials. On C Grade Hollenbeck's and up these guns feature a gold rib-bar inlay and the ends of the top rib are dimpled in the same fashion as a higher grade LC Smith. A really unusual and almost never seen double gun; and if someone who knows how to post pics would be so kind as to send an email to my office address <tarcher@smcredit.com>, I'll forward the cell phone pics from my file. They're not great, but will suffice till we can do better. Thanks, Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

smile
See below smile

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 05/21/18 05:17 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

The barrels may be "Chine P."

W.W. Beall was treasurer of the Wellsburg, Bethany and Washington Railway Co.
https://books.google.com/books?id=x_4hAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA554&lpg
https://books.google.com/books?id=VCA4AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA396&lpg
and a Democrat
https://books.google.com/books?id=rqoGAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA672&lpg

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd make safe space for that!! Thanks for sharing.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Gents!

Have to wonder on those 'elk'; suspect the engraver knew dogs well enough, but probably never saw an elk for himself. Horns/antlers look more red stag, to me.

Hey(!), we've seen flying turnips on some other guns that are keen shooters and were very well made, eh? And I always kinda have a private laugh when no one knows whot a chamois looks like, thinking perhaps its an adolescent Jackalope.. or something;-)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful gun. The "elk" remind me a little bit of the dog in the original Grinch who stole Christmas that was voiced over by Boris Karloff. The Grinch fitted his pup appropriately with antlers to pull his sleivh of stolen toys. I'd definitely make room for it too.

topgun Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

David
Would I be correct in assuming the ledger record for this Hollenbeck has been lost with the other early Hollenbeck Gun Co. records?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm presently 3000 road miles and a nine hour ferry ride away from my copy of the records.

topgun Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the response David, and have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not wanting to hijack the thread but I have a W&C Scott pinfire 12 gauge circa 1863/65 which is marked on the top rib "Made for Benjamin D Kennedy, Louisville KY".

I acquired it from a collector from Louisville. He had tried to research Mr Kennedy but all he was able to find was where he had obtained a business license to operate a Jewelry shop in Louisville during the right time frame in which the gun was built.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.