April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
13 members (Hugh Lomas, Little Creek, Chad Linder, FallCreekFan, Jimmy W, 2 invisible), 553 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,462
Posts545,016
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#512991 05/03/18 06:10 AM
sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I always thought that cyanide colors were used on the low end American doubles.
I noticed that a lot of the low end guns had a lot of case colors left From 80% to near a 100% in some cases, like H&R, Savage, Fulton etc.
Reading the post on color case hardening I read that cyanide colors fade quickly.
What am I missing?
I do much prefer the bone and charcoal colors but I wonder why the low end guns have so much of their colors left.
Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe those guns were less used?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a low end American gun with case colour so gaudy it could be a christmas tree bable.
If only it would wear off.
Maybe if I had green hair it would not look so gauche.

The high end guns are a little more subtle.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

They changed to cyanide due to cost. Almost every change that Fox did after they started was to reduce cost. Competition for gun sales was fierce and saving a dollar per unit was a big deal.

Several gun makers went to blue actions or cyanide actions to save money. The shame of it was that they lost their 'secret" recipes and when they later tried to do charcoal coloring they had to do it by trial and error. Some never got it right again. Those secrets had been handed down for 50 years from one person to the next and when the chain was broken the secret went to the grave with the last master.

Some like the cyanide coloring and they will get no competition from me when buying a gun. I have no interest in cyanide colors at all. Rather have a coin finish than a bright cyanide colored gun. They are too bright and look like gaudy coloring, by a child. Charcoal colors are much more subtle with hints of color almost like a fine water coloring.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I suspect the longevity of American cyanide CC guns is due to superior top coats developed in the early 1900"s.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

For whatever reason, cyanide colors vastly outlast pack hardening colors, IMO. Decades ago I knew a local fellow who did cyanide hardening and had him do some parts including a test piece. I left that test piece un-coated, un-oiled in the western Oregon very humid atmosphere for several years with no sign of rusting or fading. Last I remember it was still in great condition, at least a two decades later, un-coated. I'll see if I can find it in the parts drawers sometime...
Guessing doesn't answer 'why' questions.

Last edited by SDH-MT; 05/03/18 02:25 PM. Reason: edit
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cyanide is used on Perazzi. Not a low cost gun. I think some of the durability you see is due to coarse surface finish. This lets the color and protective film hide from normal handleing wear.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Savage 311 I bought new in 1973. I still have it and I never treated it with a lot of TLC. The cyanide colors are still crisp and vivid with little sign of wear. I don't believe it was coated when I purchased it and certainly I never coated it and more the opposite by wiping it down with a gun cleaning solvent.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.