March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 829 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
2 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For those who have used RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers low pressure shotshells

Which low pressure off the shelf loads do you prefer and why?

I primarily shoot 16ga and was planning on stocking up a couple of cases this summer.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've only used RST and PolyWad and I'd rate them just the same; excellent. RST has niftier boxes, but PolyWad is just up the road (I-75) and I usually get one day delivery on my orders...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael, it has been many years since I have purchased factory loads, but I think the polywad product is excellent and Jay was very helpful and receptive to questions I had at the time. I do not feel polywad gets enough or appropriate mention when the subject of “short” shells comes up on the boards or collectors groups.
That said I respect RSTs efforts to be present at the big eastern shoots and their support of clubs. So in my book either one leaves Gamebore in the dust.

The only gamebore I have purchased were some $5 a box closeouts at a Cabela’s I stumbled into once. In the end, they all 3 went bang and I would pick on price 9 times out of 10.

Sidelock
Sidelock

None of the gamebore stuff I’ve ever owned & shot would be classified as low pressure. The velocity is pretty high up there too. Put me in the RST camp, more selection.
The old B&P high pheasant stuff was good too, moderate pressures & velocities. The B&P sub sounds were excellent.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've bought from both RST and Polywad, but mostly from Polywad. Jay Menafee is an innovator in niche loads. He no longer owns the company, but still consults. RST has a wider selection, but PW has what I need. And as Geo states, he's just up the road from here as well. Gil
https://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98766855-a-conversation-with-jay-menefee

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used the Kent Gamebore Pure Gold (paper) loads on pheasants. 1 1/16 oz of Brit 6's (diamond shot). They're not pussycats, but they're 2 1/2" shells that will do the job. Basically their driven bird load.

If you're shooting a 2 3/4" gun for roosters and you want something as heavy as 1 1/4 oz, I like the RST pheasant loads a lot. 1200 fps in shot sizes 4-5-6. That's very close to the old "Super Pigeon" formula which the late Michael McIntosh suggested as "the ultimate all-around pheasant load". Kills just as dead as the 1400 fps stuff, patterns better, and doesn't kick as much. And costs less than the stuff we're offered as "premium" pheasant loads.

Last edited by L. Brown; 05/03/18 04:29 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I used Polywad but had a subpar experience recently with both product and service so I have switched over to RST for the time being. I am happy with RST's 12 gauge offerings.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used all three, have some RST and some Polywads on hand. I've no preference as far as quality or service is concerned, between them. That said, Jay, who owned Polywad, was a very easy and helpful owner to talk to.

All things considered, I'd give Polywad a slight edge.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A slight warning Michael. The RST 16g 2 1/2" 3/4 oz. load is delightful, and is only 4700 psi BUT if it's below about 80 degrees has incomplete combustion and is very dirty.
Not much of an issue out here during hell season wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only shells I've ever bought that always are a problem are the B & P Comp One low pressure loads 1 oz. loads. They chamber too deep in every gun I have tried them in so far. Result is lots of light firing pin strikes with no bang. Got three flats sitting around waiting for me to find a gun they will shoot in reliably. I first thought it might be a particular gun, but they do it in every one I've tried them in so far. It's not primer problems per se, either. There seems to be a difference in the rim on the head, compared to other shells.

Years ago I tried shooting B & P shells in a Beretta 682 Gold E target gun I had. They would shoot, but they slipped under the ejectors often causing me to have to pry the shell out from under them. B & P shells just don't like me.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.