April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Marplot, SKB, Kip, battle, Jem Finch, 1 invisible), 381 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,791
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was wondering what the best designed and best finished of the early American SXSs. Before the Winchester model 21.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would guess if ten of us were to answer you'd get about ten answers. Personally, I tend to think that overall Parker Bros guns tended to have the best finish. As to design I favor the early Lefevers.
I will now come back with a question for you. Name me one design feature of a 21 which you think makes it superior to the early Classic American doubles. gain personally but I have never seen anything in the design of a 21 which was any better than other doubles.
My old low end J Stevens which preceded it by around 20 years had a very similar cocking system. The 21 was bolted with a single under bolt, so was the Parker. The frame was a Cigar box shape with a pointed slab on each side that looked like it was hewed out with a foot Adz. Nothing graceful about it at all in the aesthetics line. Etc Etc. It did of course have that "BIG RED W" name on it. Just my humble opinion of course.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am going to vote for the Lefever Nitro Special. They are like a fine swiss watch.

I agree on the 21s. I just do not see the draw.

B.Dudley
sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I never said that I thought the model 21 was superior to other designs, its just that I know how much people think of the Winchester model 21 and I didn't want to see it compared with earlier shotgun designs. Actually I don't personally like the gun, although I don't have a problem with anybody else that likes them.
Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Parkers are probably tops in fit and finish...followed closely by Colts & Remingtons. I agree that in regards to design....the Lefever is pretty amazing in its mechanical design and simplicity.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The "best early 19th century American SxS" would most likely have been a percussion gun since center fire cartridges hadn't been invented yet.

However, if we're really talking about late 19th or early 20th century SxS's, I'm also partial to the early hammerless Lefevers. But I still kick myself for not buying one of the really good American doubles when I had the chance around 1994... an A Grade Harrington & Richardson in very nice condition for $450.00. At the time, I had no idea what I was looking at, and no idea that I'd probably never get another chance like that. Besides, it had those dangerous Damascus barrels that everyone knows are more deadly than a grenade with the pin pulled.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lefevers best work, followed by Fox

I used to think L C Smith, but not anymore.

My opinion is limited by not handling some of the other early makers. I await the opinion of others with more hands on experience

Last edited by old colonel; 04/13/18 06:05 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old colonel

My opinion is limited by not handling some of the other early makers. I await the opinion of others with more hands on experience

I think the only issue some of us have with putting Fox in the upper echelon of fit and finish is it seems Fox was only concerned with external fit and finish. The insides of the Fox are, for lack of better words, unrefined and sloppy. Doesnt matter what grade either...they all seem to have received the same lack of attention to the insides.
Ive had numerous Lefevers apart, grade for grade they seemed to have left the factory as finely finished inside as the outsides of the gun. Parkers are very nice, Remingtons and Colts were very nicely finished as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like Foxes best but I defer to my gunsmith on who "finished" them the best. And his comments to me about fit and finish are consistent. First is Parker and second is Remington.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LeFusil
Originally Posted By: old colonel

I think the only issue some of us have with putting Fox in the upper echelon of fit and finish is it seems Fox was only concerned with external fit and finish. The insides of the Fox are, for lack of better words, unrefined and sloppy. Doesnt matter what grade either...they all seem to have received the same lack of attention to the insides.
Ive had numerous Lefevers apart, grade for grade they seemed to have left the factory as finely finished inside as the outsides of the gun. Parkers are very nice, Remingtons and Colts were very nicely finished as well.

I can possibly agree with somewhat unrefined, but sloppy? Nah. Sloppy implies unreliability, and that does not describe a Fox. Ask all the gunsmiths you know how many times they have fixed the internals on Foxes, compared to Parkers, then decide. I believe you will reconsider. They just don't break, or get out of order, as much.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.