Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a bunch of pheasants in the freezer and an opened, half-bottle of white wine. I need to combine some of the former with all or at least most of the latter. Does anyone have a good recipe that might work well? I"m sort of bored with my old standards.

Maybe there should be a pinned recipe thread on this site that we could use for reference. I bet there are a lot of really excellent and unusual recipes that the people here could put together.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent,
I've been in that situation myself so here you go.
Karl

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Karl.

Here is one in return. Adding some chopped or coarsely grated carrots does not hurt, and go heavy on the paprika - use a good one.

PHEASANT IN CREAM SAUCE MUSHROOMS AND PAPRIKA INGREDIENTS

• 2 bone pheasant breasts plus legs,
• Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
• 2+ teaspoons paprika
• 2 teaspoons butter
• ½ cup finely chopped onions
• 6-7 sprigs fresh thyme
• 1 cup diced carrots
• 1 cup frozen sweet peas
• 1 cup dry white wine
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 3/4 cup sour cream
• 1 lb fresh mushrooms (portabellas are good)
• Serve over wild rice

PREPARATION
1. Sprinkle the breasts with salt, pepper and paprika.

2. Melt the butter in a heavy nonstick skillet large enough to hold the pheasant breasts in one layer. Add the breasts and cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes or until they are lightly browned. Turn the breasts and cook for 3 minutes more. Add the onions, carrots, and thyme. Stir and cook until the onions are wilted. Add the wine to dissolve the brown particles that cling to the bottom of the pan. Continue cooking until most of the wine evaporates.

3. Add the heavy cream and peas and cook until the liquid is reduced by half. Add the sour cream, blend well and bring to a boil, stirring until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings and serve very hot.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for recipe. I'll have to try it.

Not wine based, but two of my favorites.

WWII pheasant salad sandwiches are fantastic. Nothing fancy, but great lunch material and always ends up gone.

http://www.huntfishsd.com/515/WWII-Pheasant-Sandwiches

Second, is one that would have been good this weekend. White Pheasant chili. Sub in crock potted pheasant for chicken. Really good.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/white-chicken-chili-54230#activity-feed

Eis Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Brent, would be nice to have a recipe section here. I'm looking for a quail recipe that's not fried and there are not many out there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A very easy one I like, especially for old roosters: Place whole bird in crock pot. Add sauerkraut and white wine. Season to taste. (I use salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning.) Cook 8 hours on low.

This method will tenderize the heck out of a potentially tough old rooster. Cooks the meat right off the bones.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In a dutch oven place 2 to 4 whole pheasants breast up. Place 4 strips of applewood smoked bacon on each breast (anchor with toothpicks if necessary). Season with garlic powder, pepper & rosemary. Add 8 to 12 fresh baby bella mushrooms (sliced) & 1/2 cup white wine.

Bake in oven 2 1/2 hours @325.

Best pheasant recipe I've ever used. Even the legs are good this way & it's very simple to prepare.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent&L. Brown,
Thanks for those, I'm give those a try.
Eis,
I usually just breast out the quail and saute the breasts in butter and fresh garlic.
Karl

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a hearty soup recipe that works fine with various birds. Have it with a glass of wine.
https://honest-food.net/mexican-caldo-tlalpeno/

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks BrentD. My wife did your recipe this evening with South Dakota Pheasant I harvested (how's that for PC) this last season. I must give her credit for following your recipe (She was a Chemist) and cooking the bird just right. That was the best Pheasant I ever had. What a great idea to have a recipe collection right here at Doublegunshop.

Milt

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.