April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
13 members (battle, ClapperZapper, dogon, Chad Linder, 4 invisible), 507 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,098
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#510624 04/05/18 10:34 AM
sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

How common are jug-choked shotguns? I always thought that a jug choke was only used when some choke was to be put in a gun that was already cylinder bored as when the barrels were cut back.
I was reading a letter to the editor in "Forest and Stream" 1889 which seems to indicate that jug-choking or as they called it "Recess-bore was common.
This may be of interest;
"Recessed-bored Shotguns

Editor Forest and Stream:
In the "Forest and Stream" for July 25 and Aug. 1, (1889) are the published results of a gun trial that you kindly had made on your range. As the recess system of boring is apparently but little understood in this country, Perhaps you will allow me a little space to describe its advantages. It is not really a choke, but an enlargement of the barrel, commencing about 2in. from the muzzle and extending toward the breech for from 2 to 4in., the last 2in. of the barrel being practically of the same diameter as that part on the breech side of the recess; there is, therefore, no obstruction to the passage of a ball. Without reference to the use of the latter, some English gun makers adopt the recess method of boring in all their guns, and obtain with it as close a shot pattern as with more common form of choke. It is much used by sportsmen for jungle shooting in India where game can only be seen at close range, at which the effect of a 12-gauge round ball is found to be quite as deadly as that of a .45 or .50 express bullet......."

How common was this? Has anyone found many English guns choked this way?
Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one Pete. It is a C. F. Leader hammer gun with laminated barrels. I think it is from Birmingham around 1875. I assumed jug choking was done prior to modern choking but I now see there is a dual function to jug choking allowing a round ball to pass through for larger game while having choke for sporting clays (just kidding).

I have not shot it for years and I am pretty sure it is in the back of the safe so a pain to get to but I think it is marked "not for ball" which now makes no sense to me.

So many guns, so little time!
sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: builder
I have one Pete. It is a C. F. Leader hammer gun with laminated barrels. I think it is from Birmingham around 1875. I assumed jug choking was done prior to modern choking but I now see there is a dual function to jug choking allowing a round ball to pass through for larger game while having choke for sporting clays (just kidding).

I have not shot it for years and I am pretty sure it is in the back of the safe so a pain to get to but I think it is marked "not for ball" which now makes no sense to me.

If it is, as you remember, marked "Not for ball" It is strange. Why would they make a gun with a recessed choke and then mark it "not for ball"?
Maybe the gun was originally cylinder bored and then, to give it a little more range, jug-choked later.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Burrard speaks of this method being used when someone had ordered a gun to produce a given pattern with a given load. This allowed the gunmaker to increase the pellet count without "Backboring, which would often cause the gun to need Re-proof. The way he spoke it was a fairly common practice among "Bespoke" guns.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I wonder how common it would have been to make a gun with a recessed choke just to make it more versatile? To be able to use it for ball or shot. The letter in Field and stream seemed to say it was very common.
Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe builder's gun had longer barrels marked "not for ball", and later shortened; then recessed choked to improve patterns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
Maybe builder's gun had longer barrels marked "not for ball", and later shortened; then recessed choked to improve patterns.

That'd be my bet...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I jug choked a muzzleloading trap gun I made 40 years ago. It's still easy to load it and yet get the choke you want. I have also more recently done it to a couple of my SxS's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

How did you do it Paul?

Sidelock
Sidelock

So we know what type of gun:

This is a beautiful gun in great condition. I measured the jug chokes. Both chokes start tapering essentially at the muzzles reaching their zenith at about 1 1/4" and returning to bore size at about 4 1/2" from the muzzle. The taper is gentle at the rear and more abrupt as it heads toward the muzzle. The left increases in diameter by about .030 while the right about .038"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.